The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 204 running in my 20 gallon high is constantly getting plugged up and getting reduced flow (supplemented by a Koralia nano). I also have a 15 gallon breeder in my bedroom which is running a Rena SmartFilter 30. I thought the no bypass was a great idea, but apparently it's not so great on a planted tank. The cartridges will clog up and then the water overflows over the top of the cartridges which then causes the water to wick out into the lid....onto my expensive quarter sawn Jatoba flooring.

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching to a canister to reduce noise and fix this problem. I have an XP3 kicking around (upgrade to an FX5 for my 125 gallon a couple of years ago), so was thinking I could switch the 204 over to the 15 and hook up the XP3 to the 20 gallon. Do you guys think it'll be overkill? I plan to use the spraybar, probably pointing back into the glass or down. This tank is super densely planted (probably from gross negligence)

My other option is to find a used XP1 or Eheim Classic 2213. I would prefer to go the Eheim route as this is in my bedroom and I want it as quiet as possible, but if I don't have to spend any money, that's always the best option.

Specs are:

20H:
65W Coralife PC light
Fluval 204
Pressurized CO2
Hydor Koralia mini
EI dosing
Florabase

15 breeder:
28 W Coralife T5
Smartfilter 30
Flourish Excel with EI dosing
Eco-Complete

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I don't think it'll be overkill, mine is fine for a 30gl when the outlet is cranked down. Are you using the stock outlet? If not, just add a flow shutoff to your out-line from the filter, so you can crank the flow down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the xp3 will be filter. I wouldn't run too much chemical filtration i.e. carbon, purigen, etc... but the mechanical and biological will be great.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I was thinking I would run with the spray bar and the stock outlet so that I can turn the flow down if needed. I guess I can give it a try and if it looks crazy I'll pull it and put the 204 back. :p

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
That is ill-advised, except for the fact that you already have the xp3. An XP1 would be sufficient. Just crank the flow way down. Still wasting energy though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is ill-advised, except for the fact that you already have the xp3. An XP1 would be sufficient. Just crank the flow way down. Still wasting energy though.
An XP1 has that much more flow than a 204? Remember I'm running a Koralia nano with the 204 to get extra water movement.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Fluval 204 is 180 gph
XP1 is 250 gph

My post was ambiguous. I meant that an XP1 is sufficient, but since you already have the XP3, just crank the flow down, but that is a waste of energy & $.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fluval 204 is 180 gph
XP1 is 250 gph

My post was ambiguous. I meant that an XP1 is sufficient, but since you already have the XP3, just crank the flow down, but that is a waste of energy & $.
Thanks for clarifying. After some thought, I think I'm with you. I will sell my XP3 on the local aquarist forum and get an Eheim 2215 or an XP1 I think.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful and useful input.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why don't you try it first
Because I would have to cut the lengths of the intake and outlet to fit the 20 gallon which would then make the XP3 less usable for bigger tanks, thus possibly bringing down the price I can sell it for. :(

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
The intake is segmented & you could try the jet output instead of spraybar, just put the flow adjuster in place before the jet, otherwise you'll blast your fish up against the glass.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The intake is segmented & you could try the jet output instead of spraybar, just put the flow adjuster in place before the jet, otherwise you'll blast your fish up against the glass.
Oh right. It's been so long since I used it that I forgot that. Hmmm...I guess I can try it. I can also hook up an inline heater and a reactor which would take the flow down further (instead of using an external heater and a diffuser in the tank).

Things to think about....

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
A Rex style reactor really slowed my XP3 down big time. This was on a 65gl though, so the effect was really noticeable and not welcome. A bit of hope for you anyway. :icon_smil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts