The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My xp1 crapped out on me after a year and a half. I am interested in the xp2 do you think the flow is to strong for my cherries and endlers? How about if a position the spray bar to shoot at the back panel?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think xp2 should be fine. I bought one myself for my 29g and will be installing it within next few weeks. If you think you might end up with too much flow, there are two solutions I can think of:

1. Custom spray-bar to distribute return to several points in the tank so that no single return point has too much flow;
2. A bypass line with a 2-way valve to create a secondary return loop from filter output back to the filter input. The valve allows balancing flow between main and bypass loop. This solution has been discussed elsewhere on this forum recently.

You may even want to implement both solutions for most flexibility.

I am certain others will chime in.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went and purchased it. Used the coupon code for petsmart. I guess we will see.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've used the same XP2 on a 26 gallon bowfront for over 4 years without a problem. I have Cherry shrimp in there now. The key is to put the spraybar on the back glass pointing toward the back glass and slightly upward. Rex told me to try this orientation many years ago on another forum. I know of at least two others using the same pattern . Works great. IME, the XP2 is perfect for a 29/30 gallon planted tank.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I use a XP2 on my 40g. Does a fantastic job and with the ability to adjust the flow, that's really nice!

If I had to do it over again I would of went with a XP3. But the XP2 does what it needs to and does it well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i was just wondering if i should go with the xp2 or xp3 for my 29 since it really wouldn't cost to much more with the petsmart coupons. think i'm going to go with the xp3 more flow can't hurt =]

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you plan on hanging lots of stuff inline or having that option I would go with the xp3 but if not I am sure the xp2 will suffice.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the xp3 on my ten gallon and so far I am likening it... I don't know why people say it blows like a river but to me its ok...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts