The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so this tank originally started off as a dirt tank almost 3 years ago. I ran two 70w metal halides on it for a long time, and then switched to a single 250w metal halide, and then back to the 2x70w configuration.

The halides were great for growing plants, and the shimmer effect was awesome on a tank this deep, but the color wasn't quite right.

One night I was messing around with different lights over the tank and I tried my little 35w halogen desk lamp on it. WOW, the colors on my rummies were amazing, and the plants looked good too.

I decided to get a 250w halogen work light from Home Depot and see what kind of PAR levels it would spit out, and possibly use it on the tank. With the light a foot above the top of the tank, I was hitting over 40 PAR at the substrate, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Initially I was concerned with heat on the center brace as this was a problem with my 250w metal halide, but the brace was actually much cooler than it was with the halide at the same level. Heating the water in the tank was not an issue either, as many in my teaser thread had suggested, tank wasn't any warmer than it was with either halide configuration. Hang your heater a foot above your tank and see how hot the water gets..

I intend to continue updating this thread weekly to show that these lights are actually a viable option for lighting our planted tanks. Please refrain from comments about how the lights are too hot, I'll burn my house down, and they don't grow plants ad nauseum.

February 26, 2014

March 5th, 2014

March 12th, 2014

March 19th, 2014

March 23rd, 2014

April 2nd, 2014

April 10th, 2014

April 18th, 2014

April 26th, 2014

May 4th, 2014

May 10th, 2014

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is excellent. I too love the look of a halogen bulb... there is something that's so real about it. Reminds me of true sunlight shining down into a creek bed.

I was searching on here to find your older thread where you'd initially shown the halogen bulb on this tank... excited to find this thread now! I'll be keeping an eye on the progress and may pick up one in the mean time to try on a 40B :icon_cool

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looking at the photos in series as you have posted them, it kinda looks like your plants transitioned their growth to the halogen light source and began to grow better after the initial two weeks.

Very cool man, way to take something that had been all but written off and show us the "light"

Lol

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Nice lush tank!
Thanks!

beautiful tank....very different from all the other tanks on here. I love it
Thanks, that means a lot to me!

This is excellent. I too love the look of a halogen bulb... there is something that's so real about it. Reminds me of true sunlight shining down into a creek bed.

I was searching on here to find your older thread where you'd initially shown the halogen bulb on this tank... excited to find this thread now! I'll be keeping an eye on the progress and may pick up one in the mean time to try on a 40B :icon_cool
Yes, it sure does! The other thread was at the end of my 60p thread, the picture is actually one in this thread.

Looking good brotha!!!
Thanks Chris!

Looking at the photos in series as you have posted them, it kinda looks like your plants transitioned their growth to the halogen light source and began to grow better after the initial two weeks.

Very cool man, way to take something that had been all but written off and show us the "light"

Lol
Haha, thanks man, they do seem to grow a little faster especially the NLJF. Downoi and 049 are not as compact, but are growing much faster than before. Stoked that the E. hydropiper made the transition from the 60p and is beginning to spread out.

This update is somewhat ho-hum. I just snapped a quick picture to keep the updates on track. Next week I'd like to have the tank a little more presentable.

April 2nd, 2014

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Looks awesome!!

Is your A. reineckii dying back or did you just hack it? Can you tell any difference at all in your Downoi?

You sure that halogen's not running too hot and gonna burn your house down?? *runs away before he hits me* :flick:

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
whats the light green floating blob left of center touching the left high point of plants/scape? ..Riccia? Lovely scape btw!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks awesome!!

Is your A. reineckii dying back or did you just hack it? Can you tell any difference at all in your Downoi?

You sure that halogen's not running too hot and gonna burn your house down?? *runs away before he hits me* :flick:
YOU!!! Seriously, the A. reineckii is growing extremely fast, I hack it way back once a week, the stems are 12"+ tall. The downoi is growing much faster, but it is not staying as short as it was under the halides, I think redder dominated lighting sources tend to have this effect on terrestrial plants too (HPS for vegetative growth, MH for blooms).

what kind of spread do you get from the halogen, do you think two would cover a standard 125 w/ highlight?
The footprint of the tank is 24"x36w", at 12" above the rim the spread is quite even with little spill into the room. I was surprised how consistent the PAR readings were at the substrate level (40 in the corners and low 50s in the center).

whats the light green floating blob left of center touching the left high point of plants/scape? ..Riccia? Lovely scape btw!
Thanks, yeah that's riccia tangled in xmas moss with floaters tangled into it. The blob in the lower right hand corner is riccia as well.

what's the electricity usage on those anyway?
what is your tank dimensions?
Haha, 250w. 36"x24"x24"h.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cleaned it up a bit and yanked the mess out of the rear left corner. Thinking of what would look nice back there, or maybe just leave it. Toying with the idea of painting the back/sides black. Till next week.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts