The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i thought i would just start a thread where i could post pictures of my nano :)

Specs:
I actually don't know what tank i have. it's a cube 7.5 gal ADA tank.
amazonia aquasoil
innovative marine 8 watt 14000K SKKYE light clamp LED light (leftover from saltwater)
sponge filter
ehiem heater

2 honey gouramis
1 oto
snowball shrimp
tangerine tigers

bronze crypt
crypt wendtii green
flame moss
peacock moss
red cabomba

it's not a great looking tank since it's still in the early stages but i enjoy it a lot. :D picture tiime ~

oh btw is this a normal color for myrio? it's like hot pink !

sorry shaky picture :/

otoo

community pic

thanks for any input ! :3

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
what you have there is red cabomba so yes its normal.
awesome shrimp, but wouldn't the gourami eat at least all the babies (as they grow)?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what you have there is red cabomba so yes its normal.
awesome shrimp, but wouldn't the gourami eat at least all the babies (as they grow)?
thanks! the gourami's mouths are very small and they don't get much bigger than 2 inches. hopefully the babies will hide well until they are big enough to not get eaten.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Those gouramis will eat the babies, and proooobably eat the adults, unless you have a good area of heavy growth moss that they can hide in that the gourami's can't free swim through.

I've identified a few behaviors that seem to indicate whether or not a fish is a good partner for shrimp - Do they hover in place and scan plants/substrate/glass and then peck at it to eat things? They'll eat your shrimp. The babies are so ridiculously small that even my Heterandria formosa (which never top an inch) eat them. My white clouds don't (and mine are huge for wcmms, 1.5-1.75"). The difference between them is that he white clouds never graze the surfaces looking for small insects/crustaceans, they are much more motivated by floating/free swimming prey. Gouramis (and my HF) are almost universally insecti/crustaceovors who scan every surface for movement.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yay more berried shrimp :D

Looked in the tank when i got back from a trip and was surprised to see one of my tangerine is berried !! :D Also i can see little eyes developing on the snowball's clutch. Suuuper excited !!

sorry for the murky picture :/ trying to take a picture before she disappears again > <

so cool !

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice shrimp.....
I would take your gouramis out as stated... I'd bet that she/he will eat your babies

·
Registered
125 Posts
How does the Honey Gourami do in the 5 gallon? I was thinking of getting one or two for a 15 gallon, but thought it might be too small for them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since i don't have another tank to house the honeys temporarily can i raise the shrimp in a breeder box of some sort until they are big enough?

How does the Honey Gourami do in the 5 gallon? I was thinking of getting one or two for a 15 gallon, but thought it might be too small for them.
They do fine for me. I have a pair there is enough room for each of them to have a space to themselves. if you thought a 15g was too small then mine is tiny :/ i'm not sure though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would put your shrimp in a breeder box for sure. To nice to use for fish food....lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sure do !

I recently acquired some CPDs !! So pretty :D But can get a decent picture of them :mad:

Any who picture time~

Everyone

Honey :D

Oto

Group of lovely tangerines

Eww blurry pic :/ but snow mama is berried again !

Every one is doing well :3 and its a joy watching this tank :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
nice tank. I like the wood and the shrimp haha. The shirmp are a good mix of color. I am excited to get my Snowball shrimp soon. ><

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How so? Care to elaborate
Mmm well TT's are more of a 'serious' shrimp while the snowballs are more all over the place. i've observed that TT are always studiously eating stuff while the snowballs just takes nips and swim away to something else. :p

·
Registered
816 Posts
That's actually a really good distinction. TT's look like they're always thinking of their next move while Neo's just kind of go with the outflow. (Pun intended!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts