The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering X10 mini timer, transceiver, Palm pad and 3 prong appliance modules to control my T5's and moonlights on my tank (and probably another tank with t5's). I just saw a post that it can cause flickering in the "off" mode? Are there any other pro's and con's with them before I order? I kinda liked the idea of being able to control my lights from a remote location away from the tank besides just the timer (especially when I put the canopy on). I would like to hear from those that have them your experiences with them or anybody what you've heard about them.

Tina

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've played with both X10 as well as Z-wave, RF controllers. They are pretty cool. I ended up using Z-wave switches in my home theater since they compatible with my Harmony remote control.

Now, relating to your question, I opted to use standard digital timers for the fish tanks. If I had $ to burn I would perhaps automate it for the cool factor, however I just didn't think it was worth it (to me). I pretty much just set it and forget it. Easy to do with any old timer.

With the right lights/ballast and controllers you could make the lights sync with the natural sun cycle, even dimming for sunset/sunrise, moonrise, etc...

Fun stuff indeed... :hihi:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bobbo,

Was thinking of the husband factor too if he wanted to turn off the fish lights and not get up from the couch!:hihi:

Tina

·
Registered
20 Posts
One Remote to Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them....

Kudos to you. I wish my wifey was that thoughtful. :hihi:

Let us know how it works out. Never experienced any flickering myself. Maybe someone else can chime in on that concern...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
There is a little deal called "local control" which should be disabled to keep the X10s from occasionally turning themselves on. Its apparently a pretty easy thing to do, but you have to know which lead or circuit to cut. Local control allows one to turn on the device at the plug without going to the computer. But sometimes a power surge or after power outage the module will turn itself back on at the wrong time, unless this is disabled. Can be a bad thing on a auto water drain or such.

·
Registered
626 Posts
There may be a few othe "tricks" you may need to make X10 work, especially on your lighting. Flourescesnt fixtures have a "habit" of turning themselves ON with X10. Disabling local control will not correct this issue. If you do decide to go his way, you'll probably need to pick up a triple-tap (3 outlets to one), plug it into you X10 module with a night light plugged in one of the outlets and your light plugged into another. The night light will absorb the stray "noise" that the lamps produce, preventing the X10 module from switching on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts