The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine that you have a tank, it can be any tank, that you've let run wild with only vallisneria. So much so, that it's a forest. But! There are no organisms in the tank. And! You're so lazy, you don't want to trim the forest at all, or even give it away. So: what would you do with a val forest? What fish would you put? Inverts? What size is the tank? Substrate?

I.e. Hypothetical setup that I want people to think about. Only limitation: you have to keep the forest, no adding any herbivorous fish to mow it down, no going in there with scissors, no adding bleach, etc.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I have exactly that situation.
Several tanks are about 75-90% Vals. But they are mostly at the front of each tank, the middle is relatively empty. Good swimming space. I am going to change the water parameters to suit the fish, then stock them in several different ways.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Only grassy plant I've managed to keep (and I wouldn't call it successfully. Rather, it didn't die) is C. balansai. I'm picturing say, a half cylinder - 150 gallons or so - with a pair of Altums.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a walstad style sagittaria forest tank. I started out with dwarf sagittaria in it but its not dwarf sag after tall. It grows so tall and out of the tank and puts out flowers in the summer. It has only a few native fish in it and no technology is used on it. I dont trim the plants, the tank is lush and green, clear water. Its running almost 2.5 years.

I occasionally started putting in root tabs after it was more than a year old as the soil seemed to have run out of steam a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a walstad style sagittaria forest tank. I started out with dwarf sagittaria in it but its not dwarf sag after tall. It grows so tall and out of the tank and puts out flowers in the summer. It has only a few native fish in it and no technology is used on it. I dont trim the plants, the tank is lush and green, clear water. Its running almost 2.5 years.

I occasionally started putting in root tabs after it was more than a year old as the soil seemed to have run out of steam a bit.

Would love to see some pictures

·
Registered
651 Posts
I once saw a photo of a huge tank planted with only Vallisneria. It had a sandy bottom, with just the Vals, and many clay pots. Greek-looking pots, lying on their sides. It looked like the site of an ancient shipwreck, perhaps.

I always thought a tank like that would be great for loaches. They'd love the pots (caves, to them). And digging in the sand. And if they ate some of the Val, well, it grows fast.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did that, the tank was out on the roof. I started with 1 male and 3 female guppies to prevent mosquitoes... I would feed the fish daily... about 10 months down the line... there were hundreds of guppies and a tank full of Vals. It was a 80 liter tank. No water changes only top off once a week. I could not see more than 2 inches into the tank due to the vals.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.