The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lurker here looking for some advice. So, I ordered some anubias and java fern on Ebay for my low tech tank and it took just over a month to get to me. I was already refunded so that is not the issue. The issue is I would like to try and revive these plants. There is brown/rotting of leaves but not of the rhizome I don't think. I have removed the brown/rotten parts of the leaves and for now they are floating so I can see how they are going to do in the next couple days.

What would your approach be here for reviving these plants that have been in an envelope surrounded by damp newspaper for about a month?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
They might grow for you if there is still some energy left in the rhizomes and green tissue. For me Anubias are sometimes susceptible to bacterial rot, so you might consider also dunking them in a water + hydrogen peroxide bath to kill off more of the rot bacteria.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Clean them off and let them just sit somewhere quiet in the tank getting some light, see what happens.

If the rhizomes are still green, I bet you'll get some leaves eventually.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses. The rhizomes are still green and I did do a general cleaning. What are the chances any of the rot if possibly bacteria could get to my other plants?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have neglected anubias and java fern for months so that all that was left was the ribosomes and simply by plopping them front and center into a new tank they revived themselves. As long as the ribosomes haven't gotten squishy you are fine. Especially with java fern which could survive almost anything! Also I have never had problems with rot and bacteria infecting my other plants. As long as you've washed and clipped them I wouldn't worry. Good luck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
i have neglected anubias and java fern for months so that all that was left was the ribosomes and simply by plopping them front and center into a new tank they revived themselves. As long as the ribosomes haven't gotten squishy you are fine. Especially with java fern which could survive almost anything! Also i have never had problems with rot and bacteria infecting my other plants. As long as you've washed and clipped them i wouldn't worry. Good luck!

+1!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The bacteria won't affect your other plants. Don't worry about it. Clean them off, give them some light, and then don't touch them for a while. Also, don't bury the whole rhizome.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i have had some i sent out and took about 3 weeks to get back to me. lucky they were still green. like the others said just remove the the dead plant tie it to a rock wood what ever under the light and hope for the best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. Thanks for all the advice. The java fern did look better than the anubias and even the rhizomes of the anubias still have some green to them and are not squishy at all. Wish me luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.