The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a little bit of sunset hygro, preferably with at least decent red/pink showing. I don't need much; 2-3 stems 3"-4" long would be enough (I read that it spreads pretty quickly and stays low, is that correct?). I don't know how much this stuff goes for, so make me an offer.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
it grows straight up. it can be propigated by side shoots or cuttings. the red/pink color comes from your water chem and lighting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have what was sold to me as "Sunset Hygro". But, it took over my whole tank! It does grow Very Wild! I have to trim it out of my 20 Gal. tank at least once a week... I don't see too much pink in it either... But, when it reaches the top of the wtare, it does seem to change to have a redish hugh. I don't have high light as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I still don't run any CO2 in my tank... So, I will have to look into what the Water chem & lights should be to get the Pink color to come out I guess... I was told a while ago that the Sunset Hygro won't be pink if I don't have enough light or CO2 in the tank.

Hope this helps!

I would send you some for the price of shipping, but, it's very cold here & I don't have any heatpacks... If you are willing to wait till the temps are warmer. I'll send you some then...

Steve X.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
confuted,

Where in MI are you from? I live in Kzoo. If you want to do a local pick up I could hook you up with some.

Right now I have the same plant in two very different set ups.

29G ~ 20W of light. Little to no ferts - Color: Green
40G ~ 226W of light. Lots of ferts - Color: Mostly green with some pink.

This plant will grow all over the place on you in the right conditions. The group of plants just off center to the right is Sunset hygro. Most of the time the plant is green but I can get it to show pink. I think it has to deal with low Nitrates and High light.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
There are two versions of this plant out there. One has white vains in the center and to me is much cooler looking. I have been told that the white vains is caused by a harmless virus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts