The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got rid of most of my guppy fry, so I have an empty 10g. I decided that it was looking really pathetic and wanted to redecorate it.

I started taking clippings from my other tanks and discovered that I only had 4 kinds of stem plants. I need another to fill in a gap. Anything that requires low-moderate lighting would be great. I have: Wisteria, Green hygro, rotala rotundifolia, and anacharis. I would only need a few stems to get me started.

As for foreground plants, I would love something short, leafy and green. I would prefer that it be "carpeting". Low-moderate light. I've heard that 'cuba' is good, but I'm willing to look at anything that meets these requirements.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have less than three 2" stems of each. I'm using a fine gravel substrate, low-moderate light, no co2. I listed what I had so noone would offer me something I already have. It's my fry tank. I'm not trying to do anything fancy with it, but I have a big ol' gap around the filter intake that's not going to have anything for several months if I just wait for my own plants to grow enough to fill it in. Thought it might be nice to have something a little different in there. Why not got to the LFS? I live in a small town, and they carry four types of stem plants, which I already have.

The foreground plants are for a nearly empty 29g I'm working on. It has moderate-high light, also a fine gravel substrate, and no co2 (maybe someday).

I don't know any specific names, so I was hoping someone here could help me out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect your concept of low-moderate and moderate-high light is very different from what most on this forum would consider. you see, you already have a lot of plant weeds that should be growing like crazy. so you may want to learn more about growing those plants more prolifically before tanking on new plants, and certainly foreground plants which can be the most difficult of all to grow successfully. a glance at your blog tank photos tells me that most of your tanks are too dim with gravel sizes too large for the majority of plants to grow well, and foreground plants especially need high light and very small grain sized gravel to grow correctly.
I posted this to buy plants, not get a lesson on what I need to do. They are growing just fine. Only have to trim them twice a week to half tank. Why must you ridicule instead of actually help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.