The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
And this is because....

I just got some from Aquatic Magic a couple of days ago. Looks good, but apparently it's not a truly aquatic moss and will die in a few months after being submerged. :(
Aquatic Magic is located in Thailand (I think), you imported plants into the United States without proper permits and without a proper customs clearance and inspection. This is a big no-no and while more than likely if they had caught it they just would of tossed it, it is a possibility they could have slapped a fairly large fine against you.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And this is because....

I just got some from Aquatic Magic a couple of days ago. Looks good, but apparently it's not a truly aquatic moss and will die in a few months after being submerged. :(
So your moss is diying? I think AM grows their plants emmersed. If that's the case you should leave it under water and hopefully in a few weeks you will start to get some new leaves that have transitioned to submerged life.

Aquatic Magic is located in Thailand (I think), you imported plants into the United States without proper permits and without a proper customs clearance and inspection. This is a big no-no and while more than likely if they had caught it they just would of tossed it, it is a possibility they could have slapped a fairly large fine against you.
I remember the first time I shipped hygro polysperma after I learned it was on the nono list. What a rush!!! ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
It was properly marked as live aquatic plants and had the customs stamps/markings on it.

See this link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/permit_plantmaterials.shtml

From what I read there, if I'm not mistaken, most everything else doesn't require a permit for import.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've have had a few orders destroyed before with only a note from customs saying that the plants of unknown origin were not allowed in the country without proper licenses. I think the myth of a customs fine is for the big time smugglers not the plant or two idiots that have no idea what their doing.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've have had a few orders destroyed before with only a note from customs saying that the plants of unknown origin were not allowed in the country without proper licenses. I think the myth of a customs fine is for the big time smugglers not the plant or two idiots that have no idea what their doing.
+1

The "Star Moss" AM sells is Tortula ruralis and it's simply not aquatic.
Is there an aquatic starmoss>>?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
+1

Is there an aquatic starmoss>>?
I don't think so mate.. I wondered this a while ago too, and I was never able to find any info about a true aquatic form. The star moss from AM, and any other star moss will survive underwater for a month or 2, but will die off. Even in nature, it grows on rocks in moist shaded areas, and you can see it growing all the way to the edge of the water, but never under. The only time it's under the water line is when the level fluctuates, which allows it time to dry out and survive between fluctuations.

Having said all of that, let me know if you find some that's really a true aquatic species!! I want it too! hahah

·
Registered
582 Posts
I remember that the Star Moss some of those Asian sellers sold were not actually Tortula ruralis, but another species commonly known as Cement Moss.. I don't remember the scientific name. If I remember correctly though, Cement Moss grows underwater just fine, but needs very hard, alkaline water to do so.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
So you can't just tie it on any driftwood or rock that is sticking out from your tank and expect it to grow? : (

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Will they do fine on top of the water attached to a driftwood though? but then, how do they get water to grow and spread, spray them ever so often?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.