The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my RCS experiment could be considered a failure. Out of the 15 that I put in, only 2 lasted more than 10 minutes with my rams. Lesson learned - rams have no qualms about eating RCS, even adults!

I still need shrimp to tackle this algae. Obviously, they need to be of decent size. I have some more RCS to trade (obviously in a different tank) if there is interest.

Let me know if you have anything available. Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cripes, at least they werent CRS! Maybe you need some other altnerative to the algae issues?

I knew the rams (still sub-adults, even) would make quick work of the smaller RCS, but I was shocked at how quickly they snapped up the adults. Greedy little pigs. No respect. :confused:

Otos are on the way and I have a growing hitchhiker snail population, but I think invertebrates of the shrimp variety add an interesting dynamic to the tank. I hope I can find something that'll work.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You might want to try amano shrimp....they are a little bigger so they may not end up leaving so fast...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to try amano shrimp....they are a little bigger so they may not end up leaving so fast...

I would definitely give it a shot if I can find a young adult group available without breaking the bank. Seems that amanos are a lot harder to find these days.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Aren't bamboos filter feeding shrimp? They have fans that they extend in the current to obtain their food? How would that help your algae issue?

·
Registered
780 Posts
A BN pleco is much more effective for algae eradication than shrimp, and the rams won't eat it...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Will Ghost Shrimp eat algae? They are way cheap (12 for $1 last time I checked). Even if they don't eat that much algae and do occasionally get eaten by your rams.

Or there is the Excel OD method...

·
Registered
194 Posts
shrimp

i think many people have a misconception of algae eating fish.once they get a taste of fish food they are spoiled.your money is better spent on EXCELL,used as per instructions on product.most algae eaters are a novelty.
adding small srimp to a chiclid tank is trouble for sure. cornhusker:icon_smil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts