The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for something that stays 6-12" tall and medium-to low light like some type of rarer echinodorus. Not sure what people keep these days! I'm interested in what's out there.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Echinodorus parviflorus is a good choice. Slow growing, low-light and attains a maximum size of about 6". I started with two, and they bloomed and produced plantlets. Now I have eight. I don't consider then rare, however.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Echinodorus parviflorus in my tank stays about 1 1/2 inch high but i have decent lighting and co2. I believe a couple of plants you would like include:
prinz kleiner echinodorus (not to be confused with prinz bar which is a different plant)
flame sword (I forget the scientific name)
sun (something) sword; again i forget the full scientific name so be careful on this one.
purple aflame echinodorus (very hard to grow)
the prinz kleiner is my favorite of the ones i listed it is easier to grow than purple aflame and is slightly more red.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll see if any of those are available at least state side. It seems like echinodorus is more popular in europe.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just reminded that lagenandra exist. If anyone wants to part with one or two plants I'm looking to buy!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was just reminded that lagenandra exist. If anyone wants to part with one or two plants I'm looking to buy!
Well.... on the bright side i have some of that (the prinz kleiner is a nicer looking plant as is the Echinodorus parviflorus) on the sad side it is very very slow growing. In a year it only put out 2 or 3 leaves.... so it'll be a while before it is large enough to split (i have 4 or 5 and they were purchased from aquaticplantsfactory so you might check if they have it in stock). I actually only purchased 2 plants but it came as several small plants in each package - well mine did. They actually have it in stock for a decent price....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts