The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, I don't want a 50lb bag...only need enough to give me a couple inches in the bottom of a 5.5g.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have a sand/gravel yard nearby? Or a cement company? Most of them will give you a drywall bucket full for nothing. (At least they do around here.)

·
Registered
659 Posts
to bad your not in dfw Tx. I have a whole 5 gallon bucket of pool filter sand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a sand/gravel yard nearby? Or a cement company? Most of them will give you a drywall bucket full for nothing. (At least they do around here.)
Hmm, don't think so, at least not to my knowledge or that of google maps. I'd be concerned that the sand I was getting wasn't inert as well.

And thanks anyway fishyjoe24!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Most sand is inert. Finding sand with crap in it is actually hard.

I did a few google searches for you. In google maps, using your home address you'll get closer results.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...q=landscaping+supply,&hnear=Scranton,+PA&z=11

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...513&ie=UTF8&hq=brick,&hnear=Scranton,+PA&z=12

These two searches give you more than enough options for getting a bucket of sand. I assure you that what you're getting is inert. I've gotten sand from landscaping, concrete supply, hd, lowes, menards, and pool supply centers. I'd call a pool supply(google maps indicates a load of them in scranton too) and ask if it is possible to just get 20 lbs of it instead of 50. or 10 lbs, or whatever you think you need.

In the end, a 50lb bag is cheap.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mortar sand and bank run are totally inert.

Check along the river or a creek. You may have to wash it and treat with Clorox to clean it up.

Pool supply houses often have broken bags lying around. As does Lowes and some Wal-Marts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Leslie's Swimming Pool
1025 Commerce Boulevard
Dickson City, PA 18519-1679

(570) 487-1566

Anywhere near here? I picked up my last 50lb bag for $4. I'm sure they'll give you one with a huge hole in it for free. One of the local distributors even gives 3M Color Quartz away if the bag is damaged.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate the help guys, but I no longer live in Scranton, and it's just not pool season here...I'll investigate some more on my own

1 - 8 of 8 Posts