The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Got a 12G nano that I just reset. Heater went haywire and boiled the tank, bad smell ensued a few days after that water cycles couldn't shake. Have hard water 8.2+ my kit doesn't go any higher. This time I Added peat to the substrate so we'll see how much it brings it down co2 system arrives today.

Looking for some stem plants to get it cycling. I'm open to many ideas.. I do like the looks of Ludwiga / Wisteria and Moneywort.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,089 Posts
Hey. Got a 12G nano that I just reset. Heater went haywire and boiled the tank, bad smell ensued a few days after that water cycles couldn't shake. Have hard water 8.2+ my kit doesn't go any higher. This time I Added peat to the substrate so we'll see how much it brings it down co2 system arrives today.

Looking for some stem plants to get it cycling. I'm open to many ideas.. I do like the looks of Ludwiga / Wisteria and Moneywort.
How about Hornwort?

·
Registered
84 Posts
No Hornwort!!! I tried cycling with this thinking it was cheap and plentiful and I ended up with a snow globe of little hornwort needles everywhere, a mess.

Wisteria was the one I used, it grows really fast and sucks up all the nitrates. I kinda wish it didn't grow so fast because the leaves are very pretty and it folds up at night when the lights go out, it almost has a personality!

The wisteria I used I got at a big box pet store (horror of horrors) in one of those clear plastic tubes that are near the tanks but not in the tanks (they sell a mix of aquatic and non-aquatic plants this way it seems).

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,089 Posts
No Hornwort!!! I tried cycling with this thinking it was cheap and plentiful and I ended up with a snow globe of little hornwort needles everywhere, a mess.

Wisteria was the one I used, it grows really fast and sucks up all the nitrates. I kinda wish it didn't grow so fast because the leaves are very pretty and it folds up at night when the lights go out, it almost has a personality!

The wisteria I used I got at a big box pet store (horror of horrors) in one of those clear plastic tubes that are near the tanks but not in the tanks (they sell a mix of aquatic and non-aquatic plants this way it seems).
I've never had leaf drop from Hornwort. It's just a pretty floating weed for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.