The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm starting my first planted tank. I just moved down to the Orlando area for college and am looking to keep everything as cheap as possible. Here's my setup so far.

20 gallon long tank
Marineland filter
2x t5 HO 22 watt bulbs (ultrasun and floramax)
Caribsea Eco-complete substrate

Obviously low light, and probably gonna stick with no CO2. Going to be keeping mostly guppies in there, and probably going to somewhat overload to compensate for no CO2.

Was thinking Java Fern, Java Moss, and maybe some low light indica. Am open to suggestions though.

Would anybody have these things available in the Orlando area?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't have any of those things and I am about an hour away from you, depending on where you are... But, I can recommend some cheap alternatives of fish.

Least killifish
Bluefin killifish
Golden topminnows
Sail fin mollies
Florida flagfish

All may be obtained very cheaply in Florida. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was not aware that that amount of light was sufficient for a 20 gallon. I was going by the rule of thumb 2-3 watts per gallon is low light. Huh. That greatly broadens the plants I could get in here then.

Also, thanks for the heads up for the fish TedP, but I'm gonna stick with guppies as they are relatively cheap and easy to breed. Not going for show quality, just want something I may be able to sell to the local petshop for a little extra income. Not expecting to make a lot, but my course load is too heavy to allow me to hold down a job, and every little bit helps.

Gonna do a bit more research for the plants. Thanks for the help everyone! :red_mouth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts