The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am located in Canada, and I know there is a Canadian swap section. My problem is that I can't seem to get any good moss here, other than java. I teach chem at a high school and have my students setup and maintain planted tanks. We are serious about our planted tanks; here are 2 different ones we have done:

Anyhooooow, I want to setup a 20g glosso/moss wall tank with them and I need a fair bit of Christmas moss or Taiwan moss. I will pay for it or swap for some plants that I have. Neither of these are on a banned import list.

I just need some VERY KIND person to cut me some slack and inconspicuously send me some moss via standard letter mail. PLEASE!!!!!

Oh yes (why not ask for the world and stars) if someone has some flame moss for my personal collection I will.........stand up and sing "God Bless America" on this forum:icon_bigg

Probably best to pm me.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Canadian boarders are a PITA if they get the package and find out what is in it. Getting it past them isn't exactly legal...

That aside.

Loh at killies.com has tons of experience sending moss over to different countries. I'm sure he can help out. Since he has science connections his moss is technically for "scientific study" so It should be fine going over the boarder.:icon_bigg His username is "Timebomb" there. Great guy, tell him andrew told you to get in touch with him:proud:

Or you can always have moss shipped from us in the USA to a friend of yours on the boarder maybe? Then drive over and pick it up:icon_bigg

-Andrew

Nice tanks BTW:icon_bigg Tell the kids they're doing a good job! This is coming from a "kid" ;) I'm one of the youngest on the forum at 15

·
Registered
705 Posts
lol im interested in some rarer mosses too once u get them growing in ur tanks jrs ill have to make a trip up there heyy also i just remembered emhjay( i think thats how u spell it/ i think thats the name) has some christmas moss he offered to meet a pacific mall with me. and i also saw some at the menagerie... they order from the same place as T.amano if u call them they could prbbly bring in a few rareer ones. good luck!

·
Registered
974 Posts
nice job with the tanks! I can't believe you actually can have a tank in a high school - I always thought (from looking back when I was in high school) at that age there are too many 'malcontents' who would try to mess with the tank for giggles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I taught high school chemistry as well, and also had my students set up planted tanks. The incentive of getting their own fish seemed to help keep them focused, and the tanks provided lots of real-world examples to the perpetual 'why would i ever need to know this in real life?' questions. I'd love to compare notes on how you incorporated it into the curriculum.

Unfortunately, i don't have any of the plants you requested. Assuming teachers get paid the same in Canada as the States...c'mon, help JRS out! Teachers end up spending way too much of their own money for extra activities such as this.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I setup new tanks each semester and have the students track the Nitrogen cycle of a new setup with a master test kit. In addition, fundamental stuff like pH and polyatomics (NO3, NO2, PO4 etc) are made clearer.

I am not asking for freebies just access to a source. I will pay or trade for plants that I have. This is my current species list (some I do not have enough of to barter though, and some like L. sessiflora I wont ship to the US because I know that it is on your banned import list) :

Limnophila sessiliflora
Alternanthera reineckii ''lilacina'' ('Purple')
Sagittaria subulata
Hygrophila corymbosa
Hygrophila polysperma v. sunset
Hygrophila polysperma 'ceylon'
Cryptocoryne walkeri (lutea)
Rotala rotundifolia
Cabomba furcata - Red cabomba
RED FEATHER* MYRIOPHYLLUM TUBERCULATUM
crypt wendtii
ceratopteris pteroides
ludwiga repens
Hemianthus callitrichoides ‘cuba’
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
POTOMAGETON GAYI
Hemianthus micranthemoides
SAWTOOTH* PROSERPINACA PALUSTRIS ‘cuba’
Elatine triandra
BACOPA CAROLINIANA
HYGROPHILA DIFFORMIS
Vesicularia sp. ''Christmas''
AMMANIA SP BONSAI
POGOSTEMON STELLATUS
LUDWIGIA INCLINATA VAR. VERTICILLATA 'CUBA'
ELEOCHARIS ACICULARIS
EGERIA NAJAS
HYGROPHILA SP. 'RED'
LUDWIGIA SP. 'GUINEA'
LIMNOPHILA AROMATICA
NYMPHAEA MICRANTHA
ANUBIAS BARTERI VAR. NANA
GLOSSOSTIGMA ELATINOIDES
Echinodorus 'Red Special'
MONOSOLENIUM TENERUM
VESICULARIA MONTAGNE
Rotala sp. Mini

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
nice job with the tanks! I can't believe you actually can have a tank in a high school - I always thought (from looking back when I was in high school) at that age there are too many 'malcontents' who would try to mess with the tank for giggles.
I know what you mean, I set up a 10 gallon for endler's in a science teacher's class. I was going to bring the fish in when I realized that some jokester freshmen had broken a highlighter over it and caused the water to turn red. Jerks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My students know that I am pretty serious about it and I have never run into problems yet. I have angels and guppies breeding every once in a while and I just give some of the kids the juvies at the end of the year. If one is serious about the plants I will start them off with a good variety of clippings. Based on that the kids police the tanks for me.

YOU WILL PROVIDE ME WITH CHRISTMAS MOSS AND FLAME MOSS

·
Registered
974 Posts
lol

I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH CHRISTMAS MOSS AND FLAME MOSS

A for effort :proud: if I had it I would send it to you bro.

I know what you mean, I set up a 10 gallon for endler's in a science teacher's class. I was going to bring the fish in when I realized that some jokester freshmen had broken a highlighter over it and caused the water to turn red. Jerks.
Actually, I have to deal with high school kids weekly with my job, and in bulk several times a year....imo you can tell which kids have good heads on their shoulders and which ones will end up being nobodies by that age.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.