The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting a female and want a male to breed. Can do trades on plants and/or snails, cash, or a combo. Even a ROAK:) Reply here or pm and I will get back to you ASAP. Thanks and have a good day.

The title description is the only species of EBL I could find. The descriptions are the same and the pics are very similar. Tried to get the pics saved of THE actual one I'm getting tomorrow but they already deleted the ad. I'll get some after I pick her up tomorrow though and see if anyone can tell for sure what I'm going to need.
Wife did get the pics saved, and I didn't know it. Here she is:

·
Registered
184 Posts
It might be helpful to include the species so you are sure to get something compatible for you female. The last "blue lobster" I had grew to 7 inched long with antennae over a foot long before getting out and desiccating to death under the Christmas tree. Thanks Santa, I'd rather have coal.

Tight lids and good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
How much did u pay for her at the Lfs? One foot long "lobster" classic I feel like I need to hear more that's awesome would live to have seen it. Glorious

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually got her on a trade for a plant package from clippings in my tank, although, they go for around $25 at the LFS. I got her for my wife after she seen her on the internet and fell in love with her. I have since learned that she is NOT an Electric Blue "Lobster" (SW) but rather an Electric Blue "Crayfish" (FW). They get to be around 7 or 8", so she is fully grown. The previous owner had her for around a year, and seeing how they only live 2 or 3 years, we want to find a male to breed her with so that we can continue keeping a couple. Especially since we are getting a 130g tomorrow and will have LOTS of room for her.

-`

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Girlfriend once called my boss at work, and told him I needed to get home for an emergency.
I rushed home to find her sitting on kitchen table.
Lobster had got out, and was crawling across kitchen floor just as she was rising from sleep, and heading for her first cup of coffee.
Soon as I picked up the lobster,,girlfriend ran to the bedroom and began shouting how lobster was gonna make her late for work.
I found it all rather amusing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Girlfriend once called my boss at work, and told him I needed to get home for an emergency.
I rushed home to find her sitting on kitchen table.
Lobster had got out, and was crawling across kitchen floor just as she was rising from sleep, and heading for her first cup of coffee.
Soon as I picked up the lobster,,girlfriend ran to the bedroom and began shouting how lobster was gonna make her late for work.
I found it all rather amusing.
Haha! I would have found it rather amusing as well. I think my wife would have put her big girl panties on and picked her up, as much as she cost! I did only trade plant clippings for her, but we also spent $20 in gas to go get her. That makes her the most expensive inhabitant we have! She says, "I'd be on the counter, and would make one of the kids pick her up.":icon_mrgr Of course I don't believe her, she loves that thing and even I think she is really awesome, and am relatively sure she wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am sadly reporting that we have lost this cray:( I traded my tank for a 100g saltwater and, in the process, ran in to some problems with there being LOTS more cleaning and assembling, as well as having some bad spots in the silicone I had to fix. I noticed tonight that in the process I also lost my Angel. It sux, but luckily for me, that was all tha fauna I had or it would have been MUCH worse. I would still buy some of these blues, but I will now need a pair to go in the new tank. If anyone has any pm me, thanks. The tank will be done so I will make sure the next ones are not killed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think the pictures in your first post aren't of an electric blue cray. It looks like a self-cloning marbled cray, marmorkreb. Not sure about the one in the second post though, can't see the markings on its body.

Marmorkrebs max at around 4-5 inches, I think. At least mine aren't getting larger than that. They have the capability to turn blue too and can breed through parthogenesis so you only need one.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the pictures in your first post aren't of an electric blue cray. It looks like a self-cloning marbled cray, marmorkreb. Not sure about the one in the second post though, can't see the markings on its body.

Marmorkrebs max at around 4-5 inches, I think. At least mine aren't getting larger than that. They have the capability to turn blue too and can breed through parthogenesis so you only need one.
To me, that dont look anything like the one I had. I want to have some kind of crays in my tank, you got any for sale? I already ordered guppies to help keep them fed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I only have the marmorkrebs but not really looking to sell. Good luck finding the electric blues, they do look pretty awesome.

In my opinion, guppies won't be the best source of food for them. No guarantee that they will be able to catch them. You can try sinking pellets or crushed pellets. That's how I feed my crays.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only have the marmorkrebs but not really looking to sell. Good luck finding the electric blues, they do look pretty awesome.

In my opinion, guppies won't be the best source of food for them. No guarantee that they will be able to catch them. You can try sinking pellets or crushed pellets. That's how I feed my crays.
Well, I might be able to teach new ones, but the one I had didn't eat much unless it was alive. She was, afterall, fully grown and was always fed that way. I tried all kinds of things but she didn't show any interest in it unless it moved. I figured maybe the crays would catch some of the fry to eat and would be fine. I don't know, was just a thought and an experiment I was going to try. Now I gotta find some more, but didn't wanna pay $30 each for them online.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You were right all along. That cray was a self-cloning. I got the last one the person had yesterday, and when I got it it was carrying eggs. Seeing how there were no others in the tank, that rules out it being an electric blue. It does look ALOT like an electric blue though. How many babies do they carry at once? I will have some shortly:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Congrats! When mine carry eggs, they it takes awhile for the baby crays to develop. The crays are always hiding when they're carrying eggs and don't eat much. Eventually you'll see tiny tiny crays being carried. In my experience they will have very large numbers but I keep them with fish so not many baby crays survive cause they eaten. Good luck!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the girl told me that it had been hiding for weeks, so I am expecting to start seeing some babies in the next week or so. I am getting ready to clean out a tank to put her in to try to assure that the majority of the babies survive. After that, she will go back into my community tank to provide food for the rest of the fish, until I am ready for more babies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts