The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - I've been a lurker on this forum for several weeks, but just recently registered and introduced myself in the Illinois forum.

I'm setting up a 10g for my 3rd grader who is incredibly excited about this whole experience! Dad (me) getting into it too! :hihi:

A very helpful guy on aquaticcommunity.com (Chrona) has been helping me get set up, and suggested I post a message here for plants as my LFS has almost nothing.

The setup: 10gal, 50/50 flourite & gravel, 15 watt basic hood. No CO2. Expect to supplement with Flourish and Flourish Excel. Fish will probably be tetras or danios, at least, for now, although these cherry shrimp I see look like they would be fun too! Tank is at 50% ammonia dose of fishless cycle waiting for nitrites to drop back to 0.

Chrona suggested the plants in this message title, but am certainly open to anything else that would work with the conditions. I am in the SW burbs of Chicago if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would highly recommend you read this.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/cycle.htm
I am in Springfield, IL. Let me know when you are ready for Java Moss. I will send you some java moss and a few other tidbits for shipping costs(about 5 bucks) although you might find someone to throw some in cheaper when you buy the the other plants on your list.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sam - I will probably take you up on your offer for some moss. My son will certainly appreciate it. I need to finish this cycling, which I am hoping will be completed soon. I started the process before ever considering plants, which is why I went the ammonia route. I would have had difficulty with the suggestions in the article you mentioned as all but one of those plants requires high light, and my son's tank is only 15 gallon. Will contact you in the next few days as the tank progresses, unless you think there is really no reason to wait, and the moss can sit in a bucket of dechlorinated tap water for a few days.

I hope someone else responds with the ferns and anubias. It is really fun watching my son get excited about this, and he is thinking about doing another one for a class science project. Just really sux that I cannot find plants in LFS.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
well, if you are interested, i can spare you some. 8-10 leaves sound good, $10 shipped? i take paypal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.