The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I mean drive around and look in peoples yards. Most you'll find will be the fruitless variety that only produce those nasty bloom clusters in the spring. But the leaf should be the same. I've had both types in the past and they grow like weeds.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I can pick some off my Dad's tree this weekend if you don't find some before that. He has two that are both usually fruitless but definitely different species.

I trim them back to the nubs every year for him so he stays off the ladder. lol

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Why fresh leaves? I would think you would want to wait until the leaves fall off of the trees and are dried up. I don't think that you want to use green leaves. That is why the IAL they sell are already dried up and not green. Free bump for you though.

·
Registered
880 Posts
DUDET WHY DIDN"T YOU PM ME??!

I had like 3 trees in my yard, now I'm down to one... either way I have more leaves than I can count!!!

I could send you a bunch! Plus, I wanted to anyway but I forgot so I'd do it for just shipping + a little extra.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I've goe 4 trees in my yard & one in the vacant lot I'm training into a weeping tree. I & my dogs eat the berries...very health stuff.

I'm pretty sure I can find you a sapling. (baby tree) It's going to cost you Fire Reds in trade...:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
O.K. I just checked the vacant lot...it's a mulberry orchard...LOL.

I've got plenty. I'll have more time in the morning to really search. I should be able to find one young enough to ship bare root stock. There's enough growing time here in the midwest, I may be able to "bonsai" something up for you if I can't find a very young sapling.

Trust me if you can keep shrimp...a mulberry will not be a problem...they are weed tees. We do need to be sure it can be shipped to Cali.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Oh gosh, mulberry trees are downright annoying sometimes.. Now that I remember it, I had 4 at first, a lightning strike killed one, and I removed two because they were unruly. They're selling a lot of saplings on ebay as well.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it depends on the mulberry type I believe if it is banned or not. I will research that. I know the white mulberry is off limits I believe, and I believe the red is a North American native, so its okay. I am not sure though. Can these things just grow potted? I don't plan on ever planting it in the ground.

EDIT: http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/inventory/weedlist.php

Looks to be fine per this site.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
These have red fruit that ripe is a deep blue. Yes, you could train it into a container. You'll have to pull it out at least once a year and root prune it. They need to be watered often as they like a damp habitat. I dug one out for you.

PM me on this.
Frank

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.