The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I'm looking for some fire red shrimp or sakura shrimp. I think they're just solid cherries. If anyone has any please contact me. Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are solid cherries. i only have 4 or 5 of them for now....
if i had more, i would have sold them to you.
Aww man. Just gotta continue my search then. If you don't mind me asking where did you get yours from? Did you just selectively bred them on your own?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
i guess i got lucky--i got them off craigslist (go figure) as cherry shrimp. it wasnt until about 2 or 3 months ago that i noticed that some of the shrimp were quite redder than usual, especially when they are berried. up until them, i didn't notice any difference between regular cherries and super reds. so don't expect them to be red right away.

but i have a suspicion that you can selectively breed them to get that way.
so i took my reddest females, and reddest males and placed them in another tank to get them breeding. the tank is suffering from greenwater, but i can show you pics of what i got if they crawl right next to the glass. :p

you can tell by the intensity/opacity of the color, as well as absence of any striations or bands on the body--it really is a solid red!

Aww man. Just gotta continue my search then. If you don't mind me asking where did you get yours from? Did you just selectively bred them on your own?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess i got lucky--i got them off craigslist (go figure) as cherry shrimp. it wasnt until about 2 or 3 months ago that i noticed that some of the shrimp were quite redder than usual, especially when they are berried. up until them, i didn't notice any difference between regular cherries and super reds. so don't expect them to be red right away.

but i have a suspicion that you can selectively breed them to get that way.
so i took my reddest females, and reddest males and placed them in another tank to get them breeding. the tank is suffering from greenwater, but i can show you pics of what i got if they crawl right next to the glass. :p

you can tell by the intensity/opacity of the color, as well as absence of any striations or bands on the body--it really is a solid red!
can you show pics? I really want to see!

·
Registered
559 Posts
SAD! i went to go to my tank and i found one...dead. well. here it is. i didn't make any adjustments to the photo and as you can see, it is a deep blood red. i'll take pictures of the live ones once when the green water clears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Darryl,
Your cherry shrimps have awesome solid color.:thumbsup: Classic cherry red.
Do they breed true? If not, when do they start developing color?
Thanks
Will

·
Registered
399 Posts
Darryl,
Your cherry shrimps have awesome solid color.:thumbsup: Classic cherry red.
Do they breed true? If not, when do they start developing color?
Thanks
Will
For some reason I cannot breed cherries like others do in abundance. The cherry I photographed is a berried female at the moment, and I have a few more bright reds roaming around. When I do see a shrimplet you can tell the mother was a bright red seeing the young shrimp has very bright red solid colors.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice shrimp DarrylR. Yeah I think yours counts as Sakuras. I have a couple of those and they breed just like cherries. I'm really trying to get those fire reds. Never seen anything like them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts