The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really interested in edible aquarium plants, so if you've got any, let me know. If I get a ton of responses, I may not be able to buy everything this pay period. :D

Here is a partial list from http://www.fishpondinfo.com/plants/plant3.htm:

* Aquatic mint (Mentha aquatica)
* Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia)
* Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana) -
* Flowering rush (Butomus umbellatus)
* Marsh mallow
* Perennial rice (Zizania spp.)
* Sensitive plant (Neptunia aquatica and other Neptunia spp.) -
* Spatterdock (Nuphar luteum)
* Taro (Colocasia spp.)
* Vietnamese cilantro (Polygonum odoratum)
* Water celery (Oenanthe javanica)
* Water spinach (Ipomoea batatus)
* Watercress (Nasturtium officinale)

One thing I am NOT interested in is water chestnuts, but if anyone knows of other edible plants that would do well in an aquarium, let me know.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have pickerel weed, sweet flag, and watercress. I may have some of the others, but I'll have to check to see if they made it through the winter (and my neglect from last year *blush*).

You can grow your own lotus from seeds from dried lotus flower heads used in flower arrangements. Look at craft stores like Hobby Lobby for the heads ~ if you can't find them there, ask at florists' shops. Most of them are the native American yellow lotus and it grows like crazy.

(In case you or any lurkers don't know what the seed pods look like, here's what you're looking for: This is a fresh seed pod , so just imagine it all dried up and brown. The seeds sometimes fall out of them, so make sure you get one with lots of seeds still in it.)

Once you get the seeds, just file through the hard shell 'til you just barely see white, soak them in de-chlored water 'til they sprout (shouldn't be more than a few days or a week tops), then plant them in a LARGE pot (20 gallons or more ~ half of a plastic barrel or whole plastic storage tub will work) with no holes filled about halfway with soil. Use regular old soil like topsoil from wherever you can find it. Potting soil isn't so great since most of it is bark and that floats ~ a heavier soil is needed, but you don't have to spend the $$$ on aquatic soil either ~ just dig some out of your yard. Put it in a FULL sun spot, fertilize it with aquatic plant tabs after it's sent up a few aerial leaves (or half of a Jobe's fruit tree spike broken up), keep filled with water and you'll have a pot full in no time. To keep away mosquitoes, just put a mosquitofish or two in there (something small and hardy like guppies may work).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah, I am. One of my tanks is 100 gallons / 4ft, so I've got a good amount of space. In any case, if a plant gets too big, I'm assuming we can just eat it.
Most of these plants need room to grow. They take up a lot of room even when they're just settled in and starting to grow well. To give you an idea of how much room they need, even when just getting started growing, your entire plant list would fill atleast 1/4 my 1500 gallon pond ~ and would fill up half of it easily once they settled in well and REALLY started growing. ACK! This is an underestimate btw ~ that lotus would take up a 2'x2' space on it's own and even then it'd be crowded.

Do you have any way of keeping them outside? An old tub? If you have any room at all in the yard, a galvanized horse trough works perfectly and isn't that expensive ($150 or so for a good sized one ~ 7'x3'widex2'tall ~ smaller one would be cheaper). And many of those plants can be grown in a regular pot if you just set it in a shallow pan of water so the soil will be kept moist at all times.

Don't let me be the "harbinger of doom" on your plan! :biggrin: We can still figure out a way for you to grow these. They're all beautiful plants and you'd have a LOAD of fun with them. :biggrin:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, all I have is a small balcony. I wasn't expecting to get all the plants on the list though. I just whittled the list down to stuff I think might do well in an aquarium.

Now that I see a picture of pickerel weed, I realize that it grows everywhere in Louisiana! Have you eaten it?

It looks like the pickerel weed and sweet flag would only work in a pond, but I'd like to try watercress.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Did you say you're putting a 150g tank on a balconey?? Not only would you be violating some building codes (balconies are not made to support 1350 lbs of water plus people) you may be endangering your life or the life of others walking near the balcony.

Could you clear this up?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yup, it grows wild here as well, wherever some has escaped. Pickerel weed is quite the apt name for it! The taro does the same thing, as well as the water cress, though the cress will do VERY well in shade.

So does your balcony get ANY sun at all? If so, you can do the gallon-pots-in-a-tray-of-water thing and most of those still on your list should grow well for you that way. I even have some empty gallon pots I can send you if you want to try it with the pickerel and flag. Fill 'em up with some fine potting soil (won't be a problem since the entire pot won't be submerged) and sit them in a couple inches of water in any old tray. If they get just a couple hours of sun or half a day of brightness, they should do allright.

The spatterdock I'm not so sure of ~ I think it likes a LOT of water, more than just wet soil I think ~ same with the bacopa, but again I'm not sure. (That spatterdock's big also btw ~ a couple plants will take up the same room as the lotus.)

Nope, I've never tried eating any aquatic plant except the cress. I knew cattails were edible (the white base of the stem), but I didn't realize all those others were! I might have to take a plate out to the pond and have myself a salad. *snicker*

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nope, I've never tried eating any aquatic plant except the cress. I knew cattails were edible (the white base of the stem), but I didn't realize all those others were! I might have to take a plate out to the pond and have myself a salad. *snicker*
Or like the late Euell Gibbons would say: "Tastes like wild hickory nuts" :icon_mrgr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJMIu18I8Y

Tina

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CampCreek - My balcony does get some sun. It faces north, but it's on the corner of the building so it's also open to the west. I do think I'd like to try growing the PW w/ that method. I could probably easily find a large enough pot around here to save on shipping costs. When I get that, we can talk about shipping the PW.

tpl*co - an aquatic plant salad is nothing compared to my aquarium beer idea. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
YAHAHA, Tina! I remember watching that commercial! (Ooof, I think I just dated myself ~ I was watching Saturday morning cartoons, I swear!:icon_lol:)

Aquarium beer, JTF? Do tell. :cool:

I'll PM you to get your address.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'll keep you in mind when my Hydrocotyle leucocephala grows back in. I usually throw out 98% of it and watch the tiny stem turn into a mushroom cloud within a few months. It'll be at that point in a few weeks. Don't ask me how it tastes.:hihi:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll keep you in mind when my Hydrocotyle leucocephala grows back in. I usually throw out 98% of it and watch the tiny stem turn into a mushroom cloud within a few months. It'll be at that point in a few weeks. Don't ask me how it tastes.:hihi:
It actually doesn't taste that great on its own, but it's supposed to be really good for you. I think maybe you're supposed to put it in soup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts