The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to get my discus a buddy because he is bored and lonesome. He is like 2-3" , so i want a similar sized one. Any color really, but i need one in similar size range and in SA. And if at all possible, cheaper than alamo aquatics.
TY

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they're a little expensive, and i would really rather buy from a local hobbyist. Nice fish though.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Fintique has carried some nice ones recently. They arent the best but I know they are totally different from the regulor hormoned midgets they usually get in.
Fusquer just bought an all white one there, you might want to ask him how its doing. Last I heard it wasnt eating too well:icon_conf .

Alamo also gets them in every now and then. Their last shipment wasnt a good one though.

Awuana pets also carries them, not too often bu they do.

Hope this helps.

-Pete

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where is awuana?
last time i checked fintique, all they had was the big ones and heckels, all very very pricy.
I will check alamo this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Awana pets i got my daddy long fin albino BN from there. My all white discus is doing fine, ive never seen him eat but he is doing fine, so he must be eating. ive had him since the 3rd of this month.

your best bet is to get the stendker/hans discus from river city aquatics in austin texas, shipped to you for free if you spend at least $50. join the hill country cichlid club for $20/year and you will get 20% off there. also you will get 10% off here in SA at alamo, and 20% off at dave's rare fish.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
huh, i may do that. i have neeb wanting to join, but a 16 yr. old with no job has alot of things he would rather spend money on.

The problem is, my grandparents may not want to pay 50$ for a couple discus, but if they will, then cool. but we just got a co2 system, and they are still gonna have to buy a tank(ain't it great havin awesome g-parents?).
so when they recover from all that, maybe i'll put an order in.

·
Registered
376 Posts
btw stendker/hans is a german line. i recently got into discus and peteypob has been into them awhile, and even bred them too. i asked him about stendker and he said they are badass one of the best. so to get them at $~25 is a winner.

·
Registered
930 Posts
$50 for discus is pretty pricey. You can get them cheap if but they will be like 2" and then youll run into problems with him getting picked on and developing a sickness. Discus are a real big pain and if they are not happy the way they show it is to get sick! Then that cheap little 2" Discus will cost you about $50 because of medication, which isnt cheap!

If your thinking about getting just one, get one the size of your current one or at tad bit smaller. Its the pecking order that Discus play.

Juvee discus (2" and below) de best in a barebottom tank away from other big fish. Plus with the cO2 and doseing in the planted tnak they are more likely to develop sickness with the ferts floating around.

·
Registered
930 Posts
the stendker discus are pretty! Youll pay a cheap price for cheap discus but forgot that the discus up there in RCA were from Hans. Very nice discus.
I would suggest what fusqer said order from RCA, or if you dont care about the look get a little runt from fintique

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$50 for discus is pretty pricey. You can get them cheap if but they will be like 2" and then youll run into problems with him getting picked on and developing a sickness. Discus are a real big pain and if they are not happy the way they show it is to get sick! Then that cheap little 2" Discus will cost you about $50 because of medication, which isnt cheap!

If your thinking about getting just one, get one the size of your current one or at tad bit smaller. Its the pecking order that Discus play.

Juvee discus (2" and below) de best in a barebottom tank away from other big fish. Plus with the cO2 and doseing in the planted tnak they are more likely to develop sickness with the ferts floating around.
I wnated to get a smaller one so he wouldn't be too mean to this one. we have an angelfish and redtail shark to keep them in check though:)
I really don't have room to set up another tank, even just a barebottom.

what kind of co2 system did you buy? pressurized?

RCA in austin is the best bang for the buck possible. get the 2.5" baby stendkers they are 23 each after discount, roughly. they will ship for free if you order $50 like i said. or just tkae a trip up there, its worth it. River City Aquatics - African Cichlids, Discus, and Saltwater Aquarium Store
we got Fosters and smith's pressurized system.
It comes with regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, glass diffuser, timer, and 20ft. silicon tubing. For 107$ shipped. i hope i don't need a needle valve though, but i think the bubble counter has some kind of needle valve on it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may order from them then. I really wanted a snakeskin or pigeon blood, but i'll check out these stendker discus.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a beutifull healthy pigeon blood or marlboro discus from fusqer(thanks again.)
I'll try to get some pics.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I might of missed something but. A discus alone thats just nuts. There a group fish if you didn't know so go to a 55 gallon and get 3 more or you will have high aggression. Most likely the healthiest of the 2 u have will be the bigger aggressor if not it will be the weaker and he will pick the crap out of the other.

Just trying to save you even more money from making mistakes. There vary beautiful fish when at the optimum conditions only. Go wish cheep discus most likely they will be sick. get them from a fish store they will bis sick or malnourished. At the end of the day Buy the ones that are healthy and cost more saves you greaf later on.

·
Registered
376 Posts
when i got my very first discus, i was afraid it wouldnt survive in the very hard water we have here in SA. i started with one discus and after i saw that it was doing ok and didnt die, i then proceeded to get more. now i have almost 20. nothing wrong with the way dufus is starting out imo, he has a 55 and is slowly adding more discus.

plus he's in highschool and has a limited budget

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem first year of college I bought a Blue turq and put it in my tank with my angels. It adapted with the angels and then she became the queen.

My second year I bought a batch of blue diamonds fer about $230 for 6 what a mistake. They had hex witch i didn't know till this year after I looked at the history of my fish and have been on simply fer 8 months now.

Then the next semester last year this time I bought 450$ of fish and still lost half and almost all be cause one stupid mistake. The reason was because the fish i got from the local fish store had the hex. Then when I put the little fish that wasn't growing as fast in with the new batch the new batch got hex.

Now if I was told before I stated Or was on simply discus earlier I would of had all my discus. But we live and we learn and thats why I was telling him from experience.

On simplydiscus.com they always tell people not to put A discus alone. I can see being on low budget yeah who wants to put out all that money. I have that problem. But what can you do.

My problem now is trying to get a planted tank on low budget. It wont work I will have the same problems with the discus. Like to much algee not enough fert things like that.

I hope I don't sound like I'm yelling or arguing just talking to talk i guess. Sorry if it sounds that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.