The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Macrobrachium rosenbergii, also known as the giant river prawn, giant freshwater prawn, Malaysian prawn, freshwater scampi (especially in India), or cherabin,
I'm looking to possibly breed these shrimp with an Aquaponics setup, does anyone know where I can acquire them?
Or does anyone have any good links/notes on breeding them?

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
try an asian market. Live freshwater prawns is usually those. I know a place called ranch 99 market here in washington had them last time I went there. They weren't that large though as the picture, more like a regular prawn size.

·
Registered
396 Posts
How big is your setup?

I don't think there's much info because we don't keep shrimp that big! ;)
Hey, speak for yourself! :icon_wink

How many do you want? Aquaculture of Texas (for instance -- there are many other suppliers) has everything from postlarvae to broodstock for sale, but might not be worth it unless you'll be buying in quantity. Occasionally they show up for sale in petstores (usually as "blue prawn" or something like that -- but be aware that a rather smaller South American guy, probably M. amazonicum or close enough, seems to be showing up in the U.S. semi-regularly under that name these days). mordalphus' suggestion might be best if you're just interested in rearing a few.

If you're not already aware, M. rosenbergii has extended marine larval stages -- they're incapable of completing their lifecycle in a purely freshwater setup. The M. cf. amazonicum coming out of Ecuador that I mentioned above might actually fit the bill better -- although their eggs don't hatch into benthic "miniature adults" as is the case with redclaw Macros or Neocaridina or so on, they do have partially abbreviated development (with relatively few floating larval stages) and no elevated salinity requirement. And they are aquacultured for human consumption and bait in South America.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link rainbuilder. And I've found some stuff on Google, but I figured I'd check in here to see if anyone else has bred them.

Mordalphus, thanks, I'll check a local market.

Thanks for the link Veneer! I've recently started interning at a local aquaponic project and they were interested in adding these shrimp. Here is some information about the project: http://sahibaquaponics.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.