The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any kind plant substrate except gravels. Used is good as well but looking to fill 55 gallon tank to grow low light plants. Thought i would try here before going to pet-store. I will pickup and my zipcode is 01460

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi discusmaniac,

Drive about 12 miles to Tractor Supply Co in Leominter, MA and pick up a bag or two of Safe-T-Sorb #7391; the stores in our area keep it in stock. Be advised that it can lower dKH/PH; first 'wash' of substrate may take some time.

Safe-T-Sorb #7391 in 10 gallon

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are still looking, I am using Turface ProLeague. Then you have some choice in the coloration. It's the same thing as Seachem Flourite. I got mine at Northeast Nursery in Peabody at their landscape supply location, not their garden center. It may be available closer to Littleton.

·
Registered
265 Posts
+1 on the safe t sorb. Cant beat the price and I like the look of it. I wouldnt bother rinsing it. I did the first time i used it and drove myself crazy since it never really rinses "clean" like some other substrates. Second tank i just dumped it in there. I didn't notice a difference between rinsing and not. It needs to settle in both cases.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi discusmaniac,

I'm glad you found the Safe-t-sorb and you are happy with it; a great natural look, high CEC for plant growth, good levels of micro-nutrients, and the reasonable price it is hard to beat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.