The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
AFA pictures of their stones are misleading - not intentionally, but just because there is a lot of variety between two different stones of the same type if they weren't harvested from the same location.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Well just as an example - Seiryu, Ryuoh and Shou are all common limestone. However, the difference in where they come from, how they formed, and the composites around them make them different from say, the white limestone you find in Texas, and very different from each other. As a specific example, Shou has it's reddish hues from the fact that there is a lot of clay in the area it's harvested from. The same applies to stones of the same type from the same relative geographic area on a lesser degree where they're still classified as the same type of stone, but are different on an aesthetic level in coloration.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I had the dean of the geology department at my university in Texas analyze and give me all the details he could on as many different aquascaping rocks as I had at the time, as well as teach me about all the geologic information about rock formation, breaking, identification, etc.

You could say I take the wholistic approach to Iwagumi.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the dean of the geology department at my university in Texas analyze and give me all the details he could on as many different aquascaping rocks as I had at the time, as well as teach me about all the geologic information about rock formation, breaking, identification, etc.

You could say I take the wholistic approach to Iwagumi.
That's really cool

I have a piece of Seiryu I'm probably never gonna use. It's probably about 5" give or take, what shape do you want and for what kind of tree?
trident maple. Any shape really. Do you have any pictures?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.