The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lights are next on my list.

I'm either looking for a 4x39W TEK fixture or a 4x39W Catalina fixture, before I buy one new.

I also may be interested in either a 1x39W T5HO or a 2x39W in case I set up another tank.

LMK if anyone has anything.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I called Catalina Aquarium (CA) and spoke with Jim. I asked him a little nervously if he'd be willing to sell me the Catalina 36 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 39W ($250) at the lower sale price of the Catalina 48 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 54W ($189.99). He was very friendly and said yes no problem. He said he thought he'd be able to fabricate the unit today and ship it tomorrow with 6500k bulbs. I told him that it was through a discussion on the internet that I got turned on to CA. I then asked him if I should mention on the forums that he's willing to negotiate price. He said "hell yeah" tell them!
I installed my Catalina Aquarium (CA) 36" 4x39 Solar setup yesterday. It was $225 including shipping and legs. I cut some Lexan I got from Home Depot for ten bucks and installed as a splash guard. The standard thickness was a bit of a tight fit, but works. The CA folks also installed a third power cord such that I can control 1, 1, and two bulbs. Pretty sweet as one bulb seems like a much more natural dawn/dusk than two. I'm super satisfied so far. I'd give it an A. The only thing short of A plus would be the lack of splash guard and the inferior quality and shorter length of the third cord.
The above was back 7/13/09
I'm still very satisfied. I call and see if they'd sell you the unit at the lower price. I'd also ask if a splash guard could be installed, and finally I'd take the third power cord, but you might ask them if they can make it the same length as the others.
Good luck, leeme know if I can provide more info/pic!

Lights are next on my list.

I'm either looking for a 4x39W TEK fixture or a 4x39W Catalina fixture, before I buy one new.

I also may be interested in either a 1x39W T5HO or a 2x39W in case I set up another tank.

LMK if anyone has anything.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you on mine. I suddenly was flooded with PMs and completely forgot that you had been interested. :icon_redf

Free bump for you as penance and I hope you find one!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Catalina Aquarium (CA) and spoke with Jim. I asked him a little nervously if he'd be willing to sell me the Catalina 36 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 39W ($250) at the lower sale price of the Catalina 48 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 54W ($189.99). He was very friendly and said yes no problem. He said he thought he'd be able to fabricate the unit today and ship it tomorrow with 6500k bulbs. I told him that it was through a discussion on the internet that I got turned on to CA. I then asked him if I should mention on the forums that he's willing to negotiate price. He said "hell yeah" tell them!
I installed my Catalina Aquarium (CA) 36" 4x39 Solar setup yesterday. It was $225 including shipping and legs. I cut some Lexan I got from Home Depot for ten bucks and installed as a splash guard. The standard thickness was a bit of a tight fit, but works. The CA folks also installed a third power cord such that I can control 1, 1, and two bulbs. Pretty sweet as one bulb seems like a much more natural dawn/dusk than two. I'm super satisfied so far. I'd give it an A. The only thing short of A plus would be the lack of splash guard and the inferior quality and shorter length of the third cord.
The above was back 7/13/09
I'm still very satisfied. I call and see if they'd sell you the unit at the lower price. I'd also ask if a splash guard could be installed, and finally I'd take the third power cord, but you might ask them if they can make it the same length as the others.
Good luck, leeme know if I can provide more info/pic!
Thanks for the info. Epic also told me to call them up and ask them for that price, but not into such detail. I think that's what I'll do :)

I would agree with the above post CL. I got my 30" 4x24 with legs and moonlights for $200 shipped. Jim can pretty much build you exactly what you are looking for. He even offered to do mine with a more powerful ballast in one of my banks to help simulate a more natural effect.
I've ordered from them before and was beyond satisfied.
Sorry I didn't get back to you on mine. I suddenly was flooded with PMs and completely forgot that you had been interested. :icon_redf

Free bump for you as penance and I hope you find one!
No problem. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would agree with the above post CL. I got my 30" 4x24 with legs and moonlights for $200 shipped. Jim can pretty much build you exactly what you are looking for. He even offered to do mine with a more powerful ballast in one of my banks to help simulate a more natural effect.
Wow, didn't know you could get custom built units! I have a couple projects on the drawing board that could benefit from a more custom built light system.
md

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
Yeah its pretty cool, Jim is also very knowledgeable. The only think I wish I had was a splash guard IU might have to get some plexi from lowes and dremel it up today!:smile:

Wow, didn't know you could get custom built units! I have a couple projects on the drawing board that could benefit from a more custom built light system.
md

1 - 12 of 12 Posts