The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of breaking down and redoing my Red Sea 300XL (3', 65G+15G) planted tank, and I'm going to try a new approach with the return...

In the prior iteration of this tank, I was never able to get a handle on algae. Recently, however, I have realized (by way of another tank) that while I have lighting, fertilizers, and co2 pretty well dialed in, the missing piece of the puzzle has been proper flow. Installing a spraybar in that other, similarly sized tank totally changed the game and has me thinking I may be able to bring that lesson back to this tank. But, that tank is canister filtered and installing a normal spraybar was simple. In this tank, with a central overflow, it's not as straight forward (pun intended!).

In an earlier attempt at improving flow in the Red Sea, I installed a 2-way, split LOC-LINE return with random flow generator nozzles. While I liked the random flow generators a lot, there were still dead spots in the tank, especially in the back on either side of the overflow box. So, that didn't work, but it did give me an idea: maybe I can use end-capped LOC-LINE to create a 'spraybar' that wraps around the overflow box. This would send flow out to the glass in all directions and tumble back along the substrate, toward the overflow box. That kind of flow, I think, will necessitate a centralized layout, but that's exactly what I was envisioning for this tank anyway. So, full steam ahead!

The pieces came today.

LOC-LINE sections and the location for drilling the holes:

Assembly:

All together:

The next step is drilling holes and testing. Actually, scratch that. Next step is cleaning out the tank... fun stuff comes after.

In any case, new pump arrives tomorrow, and the tank should be all clean this weekend. I hope to follow up with testing results shortly after that.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great!! What size holes did you end up drilling?
thanks, i'm pretty happy with how it turned out! started smaller, but ended up with 3/16".

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay, so after a couple days it became obvious that there was a problem with this design. because the spraybar wrapped around completely, there was no avenue for floating debris to reach the overflow. this is the fixed version:

it sprays forward more or less like a normal spraybar. it's affixed to the side of the overflow box with a suction cup (those segments on the left aren't drilled) because the offset return meant the right side was so much heavier that it always wanted to tilt in that direction.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love it!

But...

Why not exit out the left and right sides? You'll have less stuff visible in the tank.
Hmmm. I don't follow. The sides of the overflow box?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, here's a diagram showing what I think you have and what I think would accomplish the same and have less stuff visible in the tank.

And you might even have to buy right angle drill attachment!
Ah. It may not be obvious in the pics, but the water isn't coming out the ends of the loc line. The ends are capped. It's coming out of holes I drilled along the length of the loc line. So it really needs to be in the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.