The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably getting a 60 gallon (48"x15"x17"), if not a 40 gallon (48"x12"x17") aquarium and have a few questions about lighting. I got a light fixture and want to know if 2 x 54W T5HO lights for a 60g that size is still high lighting as opposed to the 40g.

I saw the thread on PAR and the lighting charts and according to those, since I didn't change the height of my tank, I still have high lighting. However, according to the WPG rule, I only have 1.8 as opposed to 2.7 for the 40g and that seems outrageously low for only 3" extra width. :icon_eek:

Which one is right? Or is it a combination? Can I still keep high light plants in the 60g and if not what could I add to make it happen?

The fixture
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...xtures-AquaticLife-AK01142-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The wpg rule is terrible for exactly the predicament you are in. Yes, you still have high light. The light getting to the bottom of the tank is still exactly the same since you are not changing the height of your tank. Can you see why the WPG rule is pretty much inferior and useless in most applications? The only thing different about your 60G is that the light getting to the very front and very back of your tank will be lower since they are further from the light at an angle. However, at only 1.5 inches more on each side, it shouldn't really be a problem, and if you are putting the light only a couple inches above the tank, you have extremely high light everywhere.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
This is a tank with lights(same type as yours) that is 40" away from the bottom plants with 1.2 W/gal:

Still in the medium range of lighting.

Another, this time 1.5w/gal at 34" away

About 38" away at 1.5W/gal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.