The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Juwel Vision 180 (46 Gallon) aquarium that comes with a 92 cm High Lite unit. It basically uses 2 x 35W T5 bulbs that are supposed to be the same length as T8 bulbs. One of the bulbs is 9000k & the other at 6800k. Both bulbs will have reflectors (If this makes any difference).

I basically want to grow live plants, I will be intially running the lights for 6 hours a day and slowly increasing over time. I will also be dosing with dry fertilizers, pressurized CO2 and will have a nutrient rich soil/substrate.

I want to be able to keep healthy (not fast growth as such) low/medium and would love to be able to grow high light red plants (but dont think this is possible).

I was working on the WPG rule however I understand that this method was based on the old T8/T12 bulbs. However if I am using (Higher intensity) T5 tubes then am I correct in thinking that the WPG rule will not apply.

If this is the case, looking at the level of lighting I have, will I have low/medium or high light for plants.

Would really appreciate your advice.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Really, you think low/medium? Maybe, but I'd say it depends on the reflector quality and height of the tank. I would guess at least a fairly high medium, but I can also guess that it's a safer bet to listen to Crispino over me.

Either way, with your setup, you should be able to grow most anything you want; even quite a few reds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks mixed opinions lol. This tropical fish and plant keeping is so confusing but im loving every minute of it lol.

I was hoping to grow a few red plants and if possible a green carpet plant.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
You already bought the fixture and it's time to plant. Try every plant you want to grow and see which ones grow well in your tank - those are going to be your assets. Bring out the best out of your assets, why struggle on the ones that do not cooperate? Not all plants have the same requirements, each plant looks lovely when all their requirements are met. Enjoy them! :)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've never seen the Jewel setup, but if it's good good reflectors behind those bulbs, I'd say it puts you into the medium/high category. So yet another opinion. :D

But the bottom line is the same- try the plants you want to try out, and see what works for you. I'm pretty sure that as long as you have the CO2 and a good fert regimen worked out, you should have enough light to grow just about anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts