The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I cant believe it! I bought my co2 system on 9/19 and its already empty!!
I ran it for about 8 hrs a day with 1-2 bubbles a second. Is this normal? The cylinder is 9 inches tall from top to bttm. I just cant believe it I was told it would last a cpl of months. I guess Im going too have to get the bigger cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you fill that one back up, get a spray bottle and put a little soap in it with water and spray all around the fittings. If you have a leak it will bubble. I would say you fer sher have a leak somewhere unless they didn't send you a full bottle to begin with. Good Luck

·
Registered
663 Posts
200 for a 5 pound tank is a ripoff. Go to a welding supply shop get a refurbished tank, filled should run around 50 - 60. If you can order off the net might be cheaper.
I agree with the leak , spray soapy water.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks scags
Im brand new to planted tanks so I have no idea what all that means. Im guessing your meaning since I turn mine off at night I should be getting at least 6 weeks or so from it? I was able to turn the main knob about a quarter of a turn so thats prob where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
316 Posts
greenleafaquariums.com has a 5lb tank for $70 and Im sure you could get one even cheaper than that..

You could go the route of getting one from the welding supply company if you dont care what the tank will look like. I keep mine right on the side of my stand so I wanted a brand new tank. Most likely you will get a rusty tank from a welding co.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Chaoslord.
Would there be any use spraying it now? Its empty. I looked on amazon and I can get and empty one for I think its 85 plus shipping then by the time I get it filled another 40 -50 its not going to be that much cheaper. Plus Im in queens ny and Ive looked localy and can find no places other than a local petshop(the one with the 200$ cylinder) to fill the co2 cylinders. I may just get what I have refilled and check for leaks. Is it normal to be able to turn the top knob a quarter of a turn?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks h20aggie and Brad
this tank has to be sitting in my living room besides my tank so I need something that looks nice. The one for 200 is barnd new and filled.
Can I do a leak test when its empty?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks h2oaggie
I have some teflon tape so Ill make sure to bring it with me when I get the new tank. Ive called 4 "local at lest 45 min by bus" welding shops and none of them refill co2 tanks.
So I have to decide just go ahead and get this tank refilled 20 bucks or go with a filled 5lb cylinder. I was happy going every 3 months and paying 20 bucks to get it refilled but if its only going to last a few weeks I might be better with the 5lb. But then if I use the tape and check it for leaks this 20 oz should last longer. Either way I will bring the whole unit to the lps with me and test it there for leaks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.