The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are 1000 threads on snails but I would like to get suggestions based on my fish that I have.

I got some plants from a guy and while I was cleaning the plants I thought I saw a snail on one. I went over them again but couldn't find it again.

I planted the plants and noticed a snail a few days later. it was a ramshorn snail. I thought it looked kinda cool so I let it stay.

BAD MOVE now I have 100's all over the place, even in my hob filters.

I would like to get a fish to clean them out but I need suggestions.

I currently have the following fish

8 serpe tetras
4 orange neon tetras
2 corys
3 glo fish
2 red eye tetras

I have a 29 gal planted tank

I would like a fish that will be peaceful and will not attack any of the other fish. I also would like for the fish to stay small 2-3 inches max

I know that puffers and loaches clean out snails but I don't know how peaceful they are.

Also, i would like for the fish to eat flakes and or pellets

I also have some snails that are large, please let me know if the fish will clean them out or if I'll have to take them out by hand.

Thanks for any suggestions that you guys might have.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Assassin snails can help you out here.. Not super fast, but they will help. Hand picking out a bunch can help too. I'd get some assassins, then go and pick out as many as possible. it will save you some time.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
i would go for a loach. and also cut back on your feeding. there is probably an abundance of excess food kicking around your tank.

and if you have the time to pick them out plenty of people will at least pay for shipping sometimes a little more.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Yeah, that and ghost shrimp. I had hundreds of snails in my 29g. I picked up 4 ghost shrimp for $0.10 each. A few weeks later, the snails were all gone and the ghost shrimp all died. Not that I got the shrimp for that purpose but now I know that they are a cheap fix for a snail problem.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Cut back on your feeding, they must have plenty to eat, and appreciate them for the cleanup work! :) I'm a big fan of Ramshorn snails, and food control will keep their population in check.

Loaches need to be kept in groups, ideally 3 at a bare minimum and most will say 6, and they need more room.

My opinions :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Clown loaches will eat those for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and more. I saw one sail in my tank once, which has 6 clowns and 6 queen loaches. I havent seen it since.

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ramshorn snails

I have to say I enjoy my snails as part of the ecosphere in my planted tanks. The ramshorns do not seem to feed on healthy plants but if a leaf is diseased they will feed on it.

I agree with the idea to review your feeding habits. I have ramshorns but they have self-regulated well, as long as I don't over-feed the fish.

They reportedly help some with algae and general tank cleanup. Much better than pond snails. :fish1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts