The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This APC thread has been around for a couple of yrs. Decided to try it today. All I can say is ............. WOW!! You gotta see how fine the bubbles are! You have to be really close to see the bubbles. The whole project took about 5 minutes to put together and most of that time was spent looking for a small airstone!

Here is the link to the thread http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...s/44053-tiny-super-efficient-co2-reactor.html

My crappy cell phone videos on YouTube: Long version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMBcj_s2nj0 Short version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2DkOvsKW4

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I have been looking for a concise explanation on how to set a diffuser for a DIY co2 set up.

FYI, Petco is selling those for $7.50 each online until 10.5, so I grabbed 2, one for my 10gallon starter, and one for the eventually larger one I plan on setting up later. Also, the coupon code GEEKS10 got me 10% off (covered tax :D), with no minimum order.

·
Registered
32 Posts
can anyone point me to a good post on setting up the co2 bottle? I got my Elite minis in the mail today from petco and am ready to get things set up. I thought I had seen a thread, but can't find it now and my searches are futile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you mean the 2 liter soda bottle filled with water, 1 cup sugar, and a teaspoon of yeast?

I'm sure if you just google DIY CO2 you must find something.
Yes, I'm looking for tips on getting a good seal on the soda bottle and whether I should have a smaller, secondary bottle to help with containing the "sludge" I've been reading about. I was just hoping there was a "tried and true" post rather than wading through a ton of search results.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I want to note, I have these in 3 tanks, and they are great, with one major exception. Do NOT expect them to start properly on their own if you try to use a timer. All three of mine have to be jostled around a bit when started to get them going again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes, I'm looking for tips on getting a good seal on the soda bottle and whether I should have a smaller, secondary bottle to help with containing the "sludge" I've been reading about. I was just hoping there was a "tried and true" post rather than wading through a ton of search results.
This is what I do, its a DIY bubble counter, which also serves as a filter for the co2. Any yeasty muck is filtered out when bubbling through the water. I made it with a bulk spice jar from a local market which cost all of $1.

·
Registered
860 Posts
There are so many posts because everyone does what they want. I found the easiest to be, drill a small hole in the bottle cap, and thread the tubing through it. For my bubble counter i have a check valve glued into a syringe. Otherwise, just use the 2 bottle method.

The great thing about DIY, there is no tried and true because people try to make it better.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I want to note, I have these in 3 tanks, and they are great, with one major exception. Do NOT expect them to start properly on their own if you try to use a timer. All three of mine have to be jostled around a bit when started to get them going again.
So if you hook them up to a timer and the timer turns on, it'll take a while for the filter to get started diffusing the CO2?

And to the OP - is there a noise when the CO2 bubble hits the impeller?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Curious if anyone else has seen the issue with these not starting up when turned on/off with a timer...
That's one of the reasons I chose that model. It starts with no problems.

But there is no real benefit from turning the CO2 on/off. I would like to see a tank that is doing considerably better because of aerating at night and no CO2 injection.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't have it on a timer. I do have the Co2 on a solenoid that is timed with my lights, so actually the pump is never turned off.

One of the points from the original design is the bubble counting pish, pish from the bubbles hitting the impeller. I already have a bubble counter so it served no purpose to me. Instead of just threading the Co2 tubing into the pump I wedged in a small airstone which in turn produced smaller bubbles that were broken down to even smaller bubbles by the impeller. I've got news for you, these bubbles are as small as the bubbles produced from my Cal Aqua glass inline diffusers in the 55g.

In the APC thread some complain about the noise and others don't hear a thing so I can't tell you because I use an airstone and to me it's totally silent.

The thing is great, I converted the 20long and will be converting 2 15g tanks this weekend. Ceramic diffusers always produced adequate results without much of a monetary investment but nothing beats this. :bounce:

Oh, by the way Niko is the author of the APC thread.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, I haven't had any issues with noise with any of the 3 I'm using, just with it not starting properly when turned on with a timer. As far as I can tell, the issue is that the co2 gas builds up overnight in the lower chamber of the mini-filter where the sponge would normally be. When it turns on, the filter isn't strong enough to expel the built up gas out, so I have to pull on the power cord to jostle the mini-filter around to get the gas to release, at which point, it starts up fine.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yeah, I haven't had any issues with noise with any of the 3 I'm using, just with it not starting properly when turned on with a timer. As far as I can tell, the issue is that the co2 gas builds up overnight in the lower chamber of the mini-filter where the sponge would normally be. When it turns on, the filter isn't strong enough to expel the built up gas out, so I have to pull on the power cord to jostle the mini-filter around to get the gas to release, at which point, it starts up fine.

Just leave the mini filter running at night as well. I use pressurized 24/7, 2 bps into 46 gallons and have never had issues. If you aren't going crazy with the bubble count and have some surface turbulence, you won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just leave the mini filter running at night as well. I use pressurized 24/7, 2 bps into 46 gallons and have never had issues. If you aren't going crazy with the bubble count and have some surface turbulence, you won't hurt anything.
I agree, just leave it on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I got it set up last night, might not have done something right, as it seems to be dispersing from the sides as well as the sponge, and makes a little noise, nothing too disturbing, but certainly isn't silent. Tried making a little video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEzN3pDGZ1c. Anyone see anything I might have done wrong?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts