The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed both bulbs in a matter of two weeks,{changed one, then the other} on my Current Nova Extreme 24 wt T-5 fixture. It's a year old, but they tell you the bulbs are good for 18mo. Hogwash! The difference is incredible. Plus..the Dr's just sent me a replacement for the "plant bulb"..{the pink one}, and they sent an aqua-medic aqualine, which I believe is a better bulb than the original. Change your bulbs, it's worth it!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
961 Posts
I should! I've noticed that the light from my tank has not been as bright as they used to be... I thought maybe i was just getting used to it, but maybe not? It'll be almost a year since I got them and they're the original smartPaq bulbs that came with my current satellite fixture.

Might need to get new bulbs... Also noticed when I was cleaning the protective lens that the bulbs didn't seem as fully "lit" as they used to and I also saw a few black/gray dots here and there on the bulb... Not sure what that's all about, but made me think I should change them out.

Though, since I plan on upgrading within the next few months, I may just suck it up until then and have all new fun stuff :D

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I change mine anywhere from 9-12 months...spectral shifts and reduced intensity happen around them...18 months is a bit too long! :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
if you changed out the original stock bulbs then u can expect any third party bulb to be at least marginally better, and depending on fixtures mileage can vary......but even at that i change mine every 10-12 months.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just changed both bulbs in a matter of two weeks,{changed one, then the other} on my Current Nova Extreme 24 wt T-5 fixture. It's a year old, but they tell you the bulbs are good for 18mo. Hogwash! The difference is incredible. Plus..the Dr's just sent me a replacement for the "plant bulb"..{the pink one}, and they sent an aqua-medic aqualine, which I believe is a better bulb than the original. Change your bulbs, it's worth it!!:thumbsup:
Were you plants visibly suffering before this change?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were you plants visibly suffering before this change?
Yes! Especially the first tank, which was set up a month before the other. Granted, for a month or so I had other fixtures on them, but they really took off after adding this fixture.
Here is when the tank looked it's best, shortly after adding the fixture~

After doing a severe hack job on the plants, and months passed..it got worse and worse. Here is a pic from this morning, with the new daylight, but before the new plant bulb arrived. The ludwigia repens is all but wasted away..I mean come on, how do you kill L. repens?:icon_sad:

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you changed out the original stock bulbs then u can expect any third party bulb to be at least marginally better, and depending on fixtures mileage can vary......but even at that i change mine every 10-12 months.
You would hope anyway. Actually, I made a mistake when I ordered them, and I thought the fixture had a 6700K and a 10,000K. They sent one of each, but they are the Current Slim-Pac bulbs. Then when I went to swap them, I realized one was a 10K, and the other a plant grow, or 'pink bulb', so I ordered another one. Today the replacement arrived, and I was happy to see it was the aquamedic aqualine, a German bulb. I can see already it's much brighter than even the original. It will be interesting to see how it looks in a week or so.

G

·
Yeah the current bulbs are 10,000k and 6700k(pink bulb) if you have the freshwater version. I am changing them all out for bulbs from htg supply that are like $30 to get here and for 4 bulbs all 6400k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts