The Planted Tank Forum banner

yes or no?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

IME I consider this substrate excellent for a planted tank with neocardinias, but there is different opinions online about it been used with cardinias, so I decided to survey this community.

Please share your experience or reason to use or not use FSS. Share links also.

Its one of the options a friend of mine is considering to set up a PFR/CRS planted tank.

Thanks!

·
Puzzled...
1,223 Posts
Read that it breaks down pretty easy after a while. Seems like a finer clay substrate. I've written it off from reading other peoples experiences since I do quite a bit of substrate cleaning.

I like harder clays that are baked longer. I've seen some pretty cool stuff in pictures from other countries. The only substrate I've seen that is close is the UP Aqua soil/ bee sand (don't confuse with ADA aquasoil New Amazonia- that's super hard to cycle). I'll probably try it out when I get back in a couple of months.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Jake said is perfectly. lol. I am in the position of my Netlea soiling leeching nitrates, so I wanted to tear down my tank and redo it. I am moving in less than a year, so I called around looking for it. Couldn't find any, nearest aquasoil place is 2 hours away, so went a different direction all together. I was willing to use it and some peat and IAL's and RO water for 6 months or so until I tore down and moved and start building my dream rack, but not for long term use.

As for the stories, you have to take them as you take any bad review online. I look at it like this, I fixed XBox and PS3's for a living, run my own business doing it. If you look online, you will forums with tens of thousands of people complaining about how their 360 or PS3 died after a year or they are on their 5th console in 6 years, etc. That's probably, true, there are some crappy ones out there. But when you take those 10,000 people compared to the 100,000,000 consoles sold, it's a rather small number. Most people only go online to complain or when asked something directly. Not many people make a post saying hey, my Xbox is running fine.

I see the Fluval Shrimp soil thing as sort of the same thing. Could be thousands of people out there using it fine, but the ones who don't have luck with it, are going to go online and complain.

The biggest problem is there is no way to know if it's the soil, if the person is new to shrimp keeping, their water, their params, etc. When I used it before, I was a noob. I used tap water with it with high ph/kh/gh, so hard to buffer, I changed water all the time, vacuumed the substrate, and about every other noob mistake. Now, I'm confident I could have made it work, at least for the short term when I needed it, but couldn't find it locally.

The biggest thing is doesn't seem to super buffer like some soils. My Netlea can get the pH down to 5. No way FSS would ever do that. Is that needed though? Can caridinas get my in a 6.5 or 6.8 tank? That's a whole different thread for debate. lol...........

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Too many bads outweigh the goods on that product. I will probably never use it myself, but if it was given to me for free like Jake said, I'd probably try it out just to prove to myself how it really works. Then again there could be good batches and bad batches just like any other substrate so you never know.

Tried and proven, ADA AS has been the best substrate I've used in my tanks. Can't go wrong, but yeah the price certainly will drive some folks away. I don't have cycling issues with it but everyone starts their tanks up differently so...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Nope.
1) It doesn't buffer the pH down as well as most aqua soils.
2) You can get twice the amount of ADA AS for only $10 more (somewhere around that price).
3) There are little to no nutrients in the soil.
4) The granules break up easily and create huge dust storms in your tank.

·
Super Moderator
16,945 Posts
pejerrey: Since you have some experience with shrimp, you'll likely be able to help guide your friend better than they could guide their own self just starting out.

Maybe you'll be able to break down the pros and cons of Fluval Shrimp Stratum, determine their budget and help them pick the best product for their tank. Just remember that - like others said - you'll get reviews spanning the experience spectrum. Even from people like me. I've got one tank with FSS where the pH has hovered between 5.9 and 6.1 for a year. Other tanks and the stuff stops buffering after five or six months.

Since you said they want a planted tank, I have to recommend ADA Aquasoil New Amazonia. It's just about the only thing out there that does a solid, terrific job for shrimp and plants. Azoo Plant Grower Bed is also pretty okay but ends up costing just as much as Aquasoil in the end.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys, you're all big shrimpers. I just wanted to back up my suggestion in regards to this soil to my friends.

Appreciated.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Of course I would use ADA AS, but I never had issues with FSS when i used it at first. If my water was like it is durring the winter all year, I would use it. Cheap and easy to come buy. Especially if I was just doing A-SS CRS. I have never had issues like others have had with it. I used it with my CRS, until I changed that to a neo tank, and they did fine. I then put my crs in a tank with MGOPSC capped with UP Aqua Shrimp sand. Now that imploded

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i use it in 2 diff crs tanks right now. looks like it might be breaking down but started the tanks in feb of this year. still buffers but gettin more powder lookin stuff between the balls of substrate. i do plan on getting more of it for when i move. im bad i dont tend to do alot of water changes. my ph comes out of the tap at about 7.8 and i have tested the ph in my 5 gal tank with 1/2 inch of fss and i have seen readings of 5. maybe i lucked out i dont know. i dont mess with it alot either. on the plus side it does not leach ammonia so if need be it can be tossed in a tank and used right away. i plan on using it again. but will do with a deeper substrate next time.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The F.S.S. works well for my neo, blue bee, OEBT’s, and yellows. I am currently changing out the FSS for some ADA AS. I LOST ABOUT 25 CBS (SS, SSS, PLB) in less than 4 months or so. All my parameters are well.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Well... I have it in my Fluval Ebi tank. The substrate came with it.

In the tank is a mixture of shrimp including cherries, tigers and crystals. Tank has been running since August with no obvious problems that I can blame on the substrate.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.