The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, like the title says - I'm eyeing this table for my 29 but I'm a little on the fence as to whether it will be safe.

It's a computer desk from Amazon bought for around 80 bucks way back when. That's about all I know about it. The surface is some kind of engineered wood. It seems sturdy... but there's no crossbar support, and a 29 is 300lbs which has me a bit spooked. Wondering if I should buy a stand for it instead of this.

Thoughts?

Wood Shade Hardwood Electrical wiring Composite material

·
Registered
349 Posts
The danger of a table like this, is the legs buckling from a shift in weight. Braces on the legs would help. Stability is as important as the tables ability to hold a certain amount of weight.

I'd go with something sturdier. If you aren't as concerned with how pretty it looks, you can't beat cinder blocks and a few 2 x 4s.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have all 3 of my larger tanks set up that way. After spending way too much money on lumber to build my smaller stands, I think I'll go the cinder block route from here on out for any future tanks!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Hey all, like the title says - I'm eyeing this table for my 29 but I'm a little on the fence as to whether it will be safe.

It's a computer desk from Amazon bought for around 80 bucks way back when. That's about all I know about it. The surface is some kind of engineered wood. It seems sturdy... but there's no crossbar support, and a 29 is 300lbs which has me a bit spooked. Wondering if I should buy a stand for it instead of this.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1029638

View attachment 1029637
I wouldn't worry about the lack of crossbar. Most of those crossbars are held on by a couple of screws which are not exactly providing a lot of strength compared to the rest. Wracking would be my only worry. If you can sit on it and shimmy side to side and it remains solid I'd call it fine (because there won't be a lot of that kind of movement once a tank is on it). If on the other hand you can feel the desk/stand/whatever turning into a rombus on you when you shimmy back and forth then I'd take a hard pass.

If you do use it, I'd definitely strongly suggest attaching it to a wall if you have even a slight chance of small children running around it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'm a cinder block and 2×4 type of person myself. My 9 foot tank is on this type of set up. I, honestly, would be afraid of using that as a stand, but I've broken a few tanks along the way using things I shouldn't have for stands so maybe I'm just a wuss now lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking I'm going to split the difference and put up a column of cinder blocks + wood block in the center. That should give me the best of both worlds.. and be less cinderblocks to haul upstairs, hah.

Besides... if I build a stand with blocks then I'll just have an extra table sitting around. Which will turn into yet another fish tank :I

·
Registered
400 Posts
For the 240,I went cinder block, 4x4's and plywood under the aquarium and on the floor- distribute the weight and all told couldn't have cost less. Grey paint to pull it all together. I did spend a little for water based shellac for the plywood- I mean its a given water would be spilled. Then it happened a few times over the last three years.
I have added wooden 2x6" at the corners and middle to just steady the whole thing more.

With some pine- or worse particle board IKEA thing, 29 gallons is a whole lot of weight. You could though put cut 2x4s" under it at each end and middle..paint to match and then its good to go.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to split the difference and put up a column of cinder blocks + wood block in the center. That should give me the best of both worlds.. and be less cinderblocks to haul upstairs, hah.

Besides... if I build a stand with blocks then I'll just have an extra table sitting around. Which will turn into yet another fish tank :I
A wood beam would weigh close to a cinder block. Also it would make it inconsistent. If you don’t know how much it holds, call some friends. Mabye your mom and ask them to sit on it until it holds 300 lbs

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
A wood beam would weigh close to a cinder block. Also it would make it inconsistent. If you don’t know how much it holds, call some friends. Mabye your mom and ask them to sit on it until it holds 300 lbs
A lot of us use wood beams and cinder blocks... A LOT. Also- a lot of us are older and our moms have been outside of helping us in that capacity for a very long time. Plus unless you can squeeze a few people onto a small space and make them stay there for a week or so without getting up at all you're not going to have a sense of how things will settle.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
You just took me back to all the "Yo Mamma" jokes. Test it with 300 pounds, maybe your mom.....

·
Registered
400 Posts
With that table? 2x2's would be enough. A couple of those for 30 gallons of weight. Removes any worry. Unless its particle board- then NEVER use that with an aquarium..water will turn it into wet oatmeal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.