The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
A basic sales rule common things need to be sold in volume, rare things don't. Common things sell fast, rare things don't. so how hard to do want to work at selling your fish? How many do you want to care for waiting to sell?

For a small hobby business, identify a nitch do it well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
GBR will get you more per fish but their care requires elevated levels and more expense and time.

Endlers you'll have to sell a lot more of but their cost to maintain and care are extremely low. I usually sell my Tigers for $8 per trio and $1.50 per fry but the cost of them is relatively low for the quantity.

·
Registered
107 Posts
home bred rams are popular due to being hardier and cheaper than lfs....extra work too.

but if your going into breeding for $ then dont do it. do it cuse you enjoy it because whatever you make covers the raising and tanks basic needs.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I don't know how GBR care requires more expense, care, and time. I have had a breeding pair that I don't do anything to except water changes and feeding. I keep their tank a few degrees warmer than the rest, but overall care difference in negligible. Everyone talks about these fish as being super sensitive, but what does that even mean? I have had their tank fluctuate temps of about 3-4 degrees on a regular basis. Also, before the CO2 injection their pH was kept at about 7.6 (still breeding).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Rams are very easy to keep and breed, IF you know what you do!

Every month I have at least 500 fry (5pair), but I never raise them. Or I always try the parents to raise them, but then never get to it, they never get over 10 days without help.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Why don't you try shrimp instead? They don't really take any real effort and most species sell pretty well for a decent price besides cherries which are a dime a dozen...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've never had luck with GBRs breeding. I've kept them before but could never get them to successfully breed so that's why IME Endlers are easier. It was just my personal experience with them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts