The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like most ripariums/paludariums have the planters *inside* the tank. Due to limited tank volume (25 gallon cube, 18" per side), I'd like to mount a planter *outside* (behind) the aquarium.

I'm having trouble researching if this is a good idea or not.

Here's a diagram of what I have in mind. A small volume of water would be diverted from the tank's existing canister filter into the trough, which would be filled with marbles or something similar in size. Water would exit at the other end of the trough into the tank via an overflow "ramp" leading into the tank.

Is it actually necessary to have flowing water...can I get the same results in stagnant water? How about dry soil - does that limit the species I can grow? My target is for a low-maintenance "just let it grow" setup.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Myself, vanish and Mariostg all have riparium with that style or similar. Personally I prefer it as you don't get the roots in the tank proper, and you add to the total water volume. As to flowing water or not, it's possible without, but I get better growth from flowing oxygenated water. Also if it's tied into the tank you get the additional filtration benefits of the plants, which can be substantial. If you're looking for something in that style a hang on breeder box would probably work best for you instead of the diy route

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll checkout your non-diy suggestions. As much as I want to learn about plastic fabrication (really!)...usually the diy way ends up being more expensive in the end and not always better.

Mods > sorry for the double-post. When I submitted the first thread with the same title, the screen timed out and I didn't realize it had already posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts