The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tank is a 120p foot print and I intend on having about 100lbs of rock in it and it will be atleast planted half way with 3" of aqua soil
A friend of mine has raised concerns that this stand doesn't have support on the lower part of the legs and over time will fail

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,812 Posts
Vertically, the metal stand legs should hold the weight of the tank, rock and water.
My first concern is how much weight the floor will hold. If the floor is concrete, there is no issue. If it is wood, there may be an issue as all the weight is concentrated in 4 small locations.
Weight issue aside, my next concern would be horizontal stability (think bumping into the end of the tank). There does not seem to be any diagonal bracing to keep the stand from moving side to side. This would probably be my greatest concern - the tank shifting sideways and falling over.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vertically, the metal stand legs should hold the weight of the tank, rock and water.

My first concern is how much weight the floor will hold. If the floor is concrete, there is no issue. If it is wood, there may be an issue as all the weight is concentrated in 4 small locations.

Weight issue aside, my next concern would be horizontal stability (think bumping into the end of the tank). There does not seem to be any diagonal bracing to keep the stand from moving side to side. This would probably be my greatest concern - the tank shifting sideways and falling over.
Thanks for answering.
It's in my basement and its concrete so that's all good
It was the diagonal bracing I was afraid/concerned about

I'm gonna have to get someone to make a stand for it. Don't want it to have issues over time

I appreciate your reply once again

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would be weary -- 60 gallons of water is ~500 lbs and the tank adds about 100 lbs for just the glass. So you're looking at 600 lbs of weight on that stand. If the legs are slightly canted then all you have holding them in position against the weight pushing them apart are the welds in the corners (I'm assuming that lower part is welded steel). If it was me I'd feel much more secure with a second perimeter support or X brace on the bottom of the stand -- something to keep the legs from splaying apart.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed
It's my first time using a metal stand and now I'm not so comfortable using it anymore. Looking for alternatives already

1 - 5 of 5 Posts