The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I put a 2 x54W Hagen Glo t-5 HO light above my 90 gallon open top tank, would It need to have CO2?

Thank you,
Patrick

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That light is very near being high light intensity, where CO2 is essential. I would use CO2 anyway, because it lets the plants grow at the maximum rate the light will drive them to grow. If you raise that light 8-10 inches above the top of the tank, the intensity will be lower and more uniform in the tank, and then you really won't need to bother with CO2.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That light is very near being high light intensity, where CO2 is essential. I would use CO2 anyway, because it lets the plants grow at the maximum rate the light will drive them to grow. If you raise that light 8-10 inches above the top of the tank, the intensity will be lower and more uniform in the tank, and then you really won't need to bother with CO2.
Ive read that even in low light tanks CO2 is beneficial. How much CO2 is needed in a lower light tank, say 90 gallon with 96 watts of t-8 light? Is it still 30ppm?

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
With low light the plants don't grow nearly as fast as with high light, so they don't need nearly as much CO2. You could probably do fine with 15 ppm of CO2 if you have low light. Or, use a drop checker and just try to keep it green, but don't try to raise the bubble rate to the maximum the fish will tolerate. However, I doubt that 3 x 32 watt T8 bulbs will give even low light on a 90 gallon tank. But, that might be ok.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have the exact same fixture over my 55g, hanging a foot above the tank with glass covers over the tank. It appears to me to be as bright as the 2 175w MH pendents they replaced. Yes, it appears as bright as 350 watts of metal halide. If you don't use CO2 I'm pretty sure you'll have some algae issues.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree...I have a similar setup over my 90 and its fine. I grow only low light plants though and the tank is low tech.
I know its been a while since this thread was active, but Im now finally getting around to getting the 2 X 54W light fixture. What ferts do you dose in your tank? Any algae issues? Are you using ro water?

Thanks,
Pat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts