The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read all neos don't generally breed true so lets say if I leave my RCS tank and never cull them out...
would I eventually get natural color shirmps in the tank?
if one of my RCS mama let out yellow, blue, or whatever different color neos...
they grow up and interbreed with red cherry...
would that cause the natural color?

If I get red rilli, blue rilli, carbon rilli from blue velvet and leave them without culling them out...
would I eventually get natural color shrimps?

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Lots of confusion here, sjp- so let's take your questions one by one:

"I've read all neos don't generally breed true"

Only true for some strains such as Blue Diamonds and some say Bloody Marys. Chocolates can sometimes throw "blonds," but the majority of colors in the hobby breed true.

"...so lets say if I leave my RCS tank and never cull them out...
would I eventually get natural color shirmps in the tank?"

If your shrimp throw a wild, then the wild genes will take over. Otherwise the shrimp will gravitate toward the lowest grade of whatever color you have.

"if one of my RCS mama let out yellow, blue, or whatever different color neos..."

Unless you happen to have a spontaneous mutation which is exceedingly rare, that just won't happen. Yellows, blues, etc are selectively bred varieties.

"If I get red rilli, blue rilli, carbon rilli from blue velvet and leave them without culling them out..."

You won't. Blue velvet has a mutation that fades red away by juvie age. They breed true and you won't get red rili, blue rili or carbons from them.

Now having said that, Red rilis can throw blue rilis and visa versa, but they will not throw carbons.

"would I eventually get natural color shrimps? "

These are referred to as "wilds" and if you breed two neo colors together, then this is often the case.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for clearing that up...
One more question...
So if I get blue and red rili from a blue rili tank...
Can I leave them in same tank? Or need to separate them?
I know crs & cbs can be mixed and they will be okay even though I'll get more cbs out
Of them since black is more dominant.
So does it work like that with blue and red rili?
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
yepper, you can mix blue and red rilis. You may get more blue than red eventually, but they'll be fine with each other. )
and to add to this hehe, i started with reds. over time i ended up with more blue from my line. then another few months later i started getting more reds again. i think it just goes in spells. i would have more red some times and more blue others. i never bothered will culling and got all combos of red and clear. and in a years time even ended up with a couple that looked like cherry shrimp that were all red. those i did pull out. but yeah red and blue rili are great in the same tank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts