The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My moderately planted (25% planted with long, flowing cyperus stands; hydrocotyle bushes maybe 10%, rest sand and rock) 7.5g, with a Supreme Ovation-210 filter @ 53 gph, already has ~5 nerites and a chopstick snail. I'd like to add a school of 6-9 chili rasboras, perhaps a few more snails, and/or a small school of 6 pygmy cories, or some combination of those. Would that exceed the carrying capacity?

Would adding more hydrocotyle and a couple anubias improve things noticeably?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'd, personally, choose 1 school or the other. Having that many snails may be an issue, may not. You're going to have to be diligent in testing your water to make sure it's maintaining proper parameters and adjust your population accordingly.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
technically yeah, that's a little over in the stocking department. Having said that I love to overstock my tanks. Pretty sure they all are or are close to. I might not add any other snails, the corys will help with some of the clean up, mostly they will just keep everything moving around well so that it will be picked up by your filter. As I said I tend to overstock but I do the weeklies and keep them planted to be a buffer for nitrates. you just gotta change out that filter. This is assuming that there is good circulation of water in the tank.

Nitrates really aren't as crazy a thing as they are made out to be in my opinion. I accidently had my tank well over 200 and guess what, not a single death. I brought it down to under 40 in a month, and I don't even test any more since they were fine with 200+ nitrate levels. Now, I'm not saying do what ever you want and keep it over stocked... Just saying that overstocking can be maintained and if you miss a week it shouldn't be a fatal error. If you miss a week do 40% instead of 25% water change. Or whatever you feel is necessary, you will know your tanks just by looking at it and knowing when you last did whatever you last did. That will take some time though.

Anubias is slow growing, likely won't help your nitrates much, but hydrocotyle I think is quicker. However, again, plants are just a buffer, they won't be something to count on for nitrate removal.

Having said all of this I would probably start with one school and MAYBE getting the other in a few months. I say this because your tank is a 7.5g and is a smaller tank, the larger the tank the harder it is to mess up, therefore the smaller the tank the easier it is to mess up.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.