The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I too have wondered bout this while searching hydroponic stores for often times cheaper lighting systems.
I might wonder if kelp,worm poop,bat boop., might not cause sensational algae bloom depending on how much leaked,or leeched, from capped substrate into the water column.(ammonia)
I think i should not try it with live fish or invert's in the tank until I could view test result's over a period of time.
I might instead consider sprinkling of osmocote covered with a layer of cat litter and capped with fine gravel. Just my two cent's.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did a tank with a 1/2" layer of peat a light sprinkling of osmocote over it and capped with 2" of oil dri from walmart....plants are growing GREAT but I do have an algae bloom in the initial stages..
the ph & kh really suffer with the peat..so I was thinking of the fox farm product instead...

·
Registered
231 Posts
The bat guano throws up a red flag to me. Most animal feces has a lot of ammonia in it--great for plants, but deadly to fish. Maybe once the tank has been cycled it may be okay though.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can just mineralize it before using it, the same way we do topsoil, or by baking it in the oven. That changes the ammonia to nitrates. But, that stuff doesn't seem all that cheap to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.