The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be setting up tanks these next two months that I'd like to keep as 2 species tanks - with otos and/or corys.
I have a 40b, two 55s, and two 29s.
I'd love to get opinions on some of the species I'm considering.
I prefer shooling fish - especially tighly shoaling fish. Right now I have 9 surviving celebes rainbows in QT (leftover from my columnaris outbreak). They are fast swimmers and I'm going to put them in one of the 55s since they run the length of it.
I'd like to put rummynosed tetras in one of the 29s - my lfs has about 12 right now, and they do a buy-1-get-1-free on Mondays. That would make them $2.00 each. That means I have to buy another QT tank - lol.
In the other 29 I'd like to feature harlequin rasboras. I thought about cardinals or neons with them for the color contrast, but I have bad luck with both of those. More so with cardinals than neons. So I was considering diamond tetras with the harlequins for contrast.
I wanted to get congos for a 55, but I don't know if my lfs can get them. Petsmart can't order fish, they only get what's shipped to them (so I found out today - they've had the same 2 congos for weeks, and I asked about ordering some). Since I crave a flashy silver school, I am thinking about six or so silver dollars by themselves and the corys. Do you think a 55 is too small for 6 silver dollars?
So, if a can't get congos, what would you pair with the celebes in a 55? What would you pair with the rummynose? (i though about cherry barbs, to tie in with the rummy's nose color, but I don't know how nippy/pesky cherry barbs are).
My 40b is going to keep the black tetras and tiger barbs that are in it now.
Other fish I'm looking at; praecox rainbows, eyespot rasboras, rosy barbs - I have 3 rosy barbs now - 2 females and 1 male. The male dogs the females 24/7. Is that typical, or will that change with a larger shool? It annoys me - it's like having guppies. But I love their color.
I'm even starting to like giant danios.
So what suggestions do you have for me?
LOL - I just realized that's way more than 3 different fish...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
cherry barbs are one of my FAVORITE fish of all time. They are not nippy, they are very peaceful especially for barbs.

As for the silver dollars, this obvioulsy wouldn't be a planted tank?

Eyespot rasboras are amazing schoolers.

I prefer espei's to harlequins, prettier and a nicer shape, slightly smaller.

As for the barbs, try 2m/4f, its a better ratio.

Congos are nice, but you mentioned diamond tetras, also one of my favorite fish. The males get very lavendar fins when full sized and make an amazing display. These are another fish where you have to be aware of gender ratio.

I sort of answered some of your questions!

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Silver dollars actually get quite large... ( Way lager than silver dollar size. :hihi:) The also like to eat plants. I think large schools of one or two different fish looks great, so you might think about that. A large school of rummy nose is stunning. I'd put them in the 55 gallon to really see their schooling behavior. I have a video in my 75 gallon journal (Link in sig) That shows then schooling. I think it's on page 24..

You could try some dwarf cichlids as well!

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
cherry barbs are one of my FAVORITE fish of all time. They are not nippy, they are very peaceful especially for barbs.

As for the silver dollars, this obvioulsy wouldn't be a planted tank?

Eyespot rasboras are amazing schoolers.

I prefer espei's to harlequins, prettier and a nicer shape, slightly smaller.
msjinkzd is absolutely right. Cherry barfs are very peaceful for barbs!

Yeah silver dollars love plants. We have a group of red hooks where I work, and the LOVE all plants!

Espeis are beautiful! A large school would be stunning!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have harlequins and neons (and a couple bloodfins) in my tank. The contrast is very nice and I enjoy having them.

Schooling behavior is not a guarantee as much of it depends on how the fish feel in your tank. Rummy nose, cardinals, rasboras - all have been known not to school well as well.

I think harlequins/espei rasboras + cardinals or neons would look great. I do also love the bloodfin tetras given that you have a nicely lit tank..they're white and red contrast makes for a nice effect.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I lost my male cherry barb after I don't know how long yesterday to what I assume was either age or fin rot....I never noticed anything wrong with him before. Always seemed so healthy. My females are all still very plump and happy. They're great fish.

No experience with silver dollars, however I have heard that they're quite fond of salads. ;)

I'll be receiving an order of Espei Rasboras in the morning so I'll let you know my input then. Harlequinns do color up quite well though as long as you keep them happy.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! Good answers already!
I didn't think about silver dollars being hard on plants - but I love rock/driftwood hardscapes so that wouldn't have to be an issue. Petsmart's fish tags say silver dollars get to be about 6", so I think of them as taking up as much room (size-wise) as angelfish.
I'm really into rummynoses. I was just talking to another fish keeping friend about all the kinds of fish we used to see regularly, that we don't see anymore. Rummynoses were one of them. Then POW! my lfs has a bunch.
msjinkzd, I do believe I'm planning on getting the eyespots from you? lol I was going to order earlier, but I had a tank crash with columnaris. I really like the looks of the diamond tetras, too. I finally saw some in person at my lfs, but they only have 4 or 5.
The harlequins I have now came from Petsmart. Now that they are older, their body color has changed. They have the black porkchop, but their whole body is a deep coppery red color. Is this what a harlequin looks like? For some reason I expected a less colorful fish. I'll have to look up espeis, I am unfamiliar with them.
msjinkzd, do you sell diamond tetras too?
Thanks,
Cin

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes driftwood, your harlequins have the proper color. Sounds like deep coloration so they must be happy and doing well ;)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Great! Good answers already!
I didn't think about silver dollars being hard on plants - but I love rock/driftwood hardscapes so that wouldn't have to be an issue. Petsmart's fish tags say silver dollars get to be about 6", so I think of them as taking up as much room (size-wise) as angelfish.
I'm really into rummynoses. I was just talking to another fish keeping friend about all the kinds of fish we used to see regularly, that we don't see anymore. Rummynoses were one of them. Then POW! my lfs has a bunch.
msjinkzd, I do believe I'm planning on getting the eyespots from you? lol I was going to order earlier, but I had a tank crash with columnaris. I really like the looks of the diamond tetras, too. I finally saw some in person at my lfs, but they only have 4 or 5.
The harlequins I have now came from Petsmart. Now that they are older, their body color has changed. They have the black porkchop, but their whole body is a deep coppery red color. Is this what a harlequin looks like? For some reason I expected a less colorful fish. I'll have to look up espeis, I am unfamiliar with them.
msjinkzd, do you sell diamond tetras too?
Thanks,
Cin
I dont' typically sell diamond tetras, but I do have them but only 9 or 10.

Also, another fish to consider that is heavily underrated is the lemon tetra. Similar body size/shape to a diamond and also quite striking when happy.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
the color of mature cherry barbs, both males and females, is phenomenal.
I can support this. These are my female cherries. Big momma (not in the pics and about twice the belly size of my other females) looks like she's about to explode with eggs...haha. I need to find her a male next time I'm at PetsMart. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aww, well I'm happy that my fish are happy! lol I am a little concerned about my tiger barbs, though. They are immensely fat. I've named each one Orson Wells. And honest, I am a huge fan of Orson Wells!
Back to the silver dollars. Will they still be an active fish when they are full grown, or will they just hang there like blimps?
I am now leaning towards rummynosed and cherry barbs in one 55 tank, eyespots and rasboras in another 55, and the celebes in a 29 by themselves. (I can't forgive them for bringing columnaris home!). Tiger barb and who-knows-what in the 40, and diamond tetras in the other 29. Skipping the silver dollars altogether - I can get the silver flash with diamond tetras in one tank and eyespots in another.
How is that sounding?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that's the idea! More pics! lol
I've never seen lemon tetras, I'll look them up...

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oooooh! I LIKE! How would they do in the 40b with the tiger barbs? (mine are too fat to chase anything).

I should add that I want each tank to be completely different - I don't even want the same corys in the tanks. The only staple will be otos, which I adore...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Might nip fins a bit, but that's the only problem I've ever had with tigers. I don't keep them anymore, though. I have terrible luck with them bloating....

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bloating? Hmm, maybe mine aren't just fat?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Looks like a healthy one to me. Mine just always got bloat for some reason and I never knew it was a medical issue. I always just thought they were plump and happy haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts