The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need a new tank for my RCS babies, there are just too many in my 2.5 gallon iwagumi (see my signature). So I just want to start a bare-bottom tank, with no substrate and a filter. Just for breeding/growing out purposes. I would put some moss in there as well.

I need them to grow. They are clearly being stunted, because they are 7 weeks old and only one centimeter. I accidentally put one of them in my lightly stocked ebi, and he has grown 3 times larger than the others in 2 weeks.

So, the question is: With a 2.5 gallon tank and a sponge filter, fed daily in very small amounts, would I even need to cycle with just like 30 BABY shrimp? Water changes done once weekly, of course. I even thought I might make a little continuous drip water change system. I would be keeping the shrimp in there until they are about 1.5 cm-ish. So, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
833 Posts
fill your 2.5 with some aged water, seed the tank with some mulm from an established filter.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Cycling is a way of establishing beneficial bacteria in the tank and eliminating toxic substances (example: ammonia with ADA Aquasoil) - prepping the tank for your livestock. Your hypothetical water changes once a week and continuous drip system has nothing to do with cycling or not, before adding your RCS.

You can squeeze the water from a mature sponge filter, or toss in some filter media (bio balls, ceramic rings) into your new 2.5 gallon, this will help build the BB.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, perhaps there was a misunderstanding. I know that the beneficial bacteria are what are behind the cycle, and the purpose of the cycling process, but my question had more to do with if the ammonia/nitrite/etc would ever build up to levels high enough to cause harm to the RCS. Hopefully this will clear things up.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Okay, perhaps there was a misunderstanding. I know that the beneficial bacteria are what are behind the cycle, and the purpose of the cycling process, but my question had more to do with if the ammonia/nitrite/etc would ever build up to levels high enough to cause harm to the RCS. Hopefully this will clear things up.
Got it! Weekly WC/continuous drip should be sufficient to clear things up. :proud:

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
3...2...1....before you break down your 2.5...lol...as you can see it's waaaayyy too small for real shrimp keeping...just do a bigger proper shrimp tank...same amount of work as your 2.5 but much better results..

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3...2...1....before you break down your 2.5...lol...as you can see it's waaaayyy too small for real shrimp keeping...just do a bigger proper shrimp tank...same amount of work as your 2.5 but much better results..
Oh, I'm not breaking it down. *and the disambiguation continues* LOL

I just need another tank to move the babies into in order for them to grow out and then sell them. Honestly I can't imagine scaping anything other than a nano. Weird, huh? I started with nanos, and have continued with them since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts