The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a 10 gallon with a marineland penguin biowheel 100 on it with extra sponges. It is IMO heavily planted. So far I have 4 otos and 10 ember tetras in it. Would I be able to add a small school of 5-6 Pygmy cories? I wasn't going to add anything else but my LPS has them in and they are soooooo cute and tiny! :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I like to use this site when wondering things like this... http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I entered in your tank (10g) and your filter(marineland peguin 100) and the fish you currently have (10 embers & 4 oto's) and the 6 pygmy corys.

Here is what it said..
"Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 80.6 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 5.5 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 1 - 15 dH
Warning: You should add more aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 90%
Recommended water change schedule: 41% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 122%"

·
Registered
339 Posts
IMO that's not too bad considering they're all small peaceful fish. I'd say go for it especially if you have a heavily planted tank. Just keep up the WC schedule.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Nah, don't rehome anyone. Do it. Just change your water by 50 percent weekly. Especially since it's planted.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I actually just bought a second 10 gallon to upgrade my betta yesterday. I am thinking maybe the cories can go there instead. After looking more I am really loving the Corydoras Hastatus too....just can't find any anywhere.

EddyBearr- you sure are right about the oto's bioload...they are pooping machines! I am ocd about it and turkey baste poops out daily LOL! I can't stand the curly q's on the sand!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Corydoras Habrosus can be kind of hard to locate... Even online. My advice is to see if anyone on here breeds them.

I'd say put the cories with the betta, and if it doesn't work out, they'd probably be fine with the tetras and ottos.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Some advice that was givin to me years ago and I still go by is your filter can never be to much. I always buy a filter that is at least 2 - 3 times larger capacity for my tanks. That way overstocking will never be an issue. Crowding on the other hand is left up to you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I don't want them to be over crowded either. I think I will leave the one 10 gallon with the 11 Embers and 4 Otos. In the new 10 gallon I will prob do my betta, and a school of one of the dwarf cories. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts