The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of adding ghost shrimp to my newly planted and aquascaped 36 gallon tank. However, I am not sure if they will be compatible with my fish in there.....I have listed the fish I have below

10-12 Tiger Barbs
1 Serpae Tetra
2 Flying Foxes
3 Blue Rams
1 Dwarf Rainbow

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
get the bigger ones and maybe they survive. If not, you are not out much.

i kept some ghost with my tiger barbs and only randomly did I see one a couple weeks later. Now I can't see any but they are "ghost" in the first place...

My 2"+ Amano on the other hand is left alone.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I once had 40 Ghost shrimp in my 75 with my rams, 2 weeks later, 2 left...
And the fun part was to find those half eaten ghost shrimp every day...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think with those fish the best you can hope for is to have ghost shrimp 'for a while'. You could put them in after the lights are out to give the shrimp a chance to hide before the fish are after them, and if your tank is heavily planted they may survive for a while. So it would be more like having a food supply for your fish living in your tank for a while than like keeping shrimp.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've got 2 Amano's in with 10 Serpae tetras and 10 Neons. They are only about 1" long. The Serpae have never even gone near them. These Serpae were so aggressive I had to remove them from my Angel tank. I tried full grown RCS and they tore through 10 of them in seconds. In my 75g I've got 5 Ghost shrimp that have grown to 2" that go all over the tank and even had a face off with an Angel at feeding time last night! I've also got 4 smaller Amano's in the tank, but they do nothing but hide. I can see the Ghosts all the time, but had to look for the Amano's last night as I hadn't seen them in a few weeks since I added them in. I found all of them hiding under a large piece of driftwood. I'm going to add 5 more Amano's after I grow them out to 2" in another tank in the hopes that they become more active and social.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you want to try, it shouldn't be too hard to find out. Heck, they're less than a dollar each and are a good live food if your fish won't leave them alone. I'd go to PetSmart and look through the tank and try to pick out the largest females. You can get some monsters in there occasionally that top out at about 2.5", but most of the females finish up at around 2". If they only have juveniles and/or males, I'd give it a pass until the next time. The important part seems to be making sure that your fish never find out how good they taste, so starting big would help.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I can see the Ghosts all the time, but had to look for the Amano's last night as I hadn't seen them in a few weeks since I added them in. I found all of them hiding under a large piece of driftwood.
My Amanos did the exact same thing; they spend all their days hiding between the driftwood and a rock. But the other day I saw my goldfish with long amano feelers sticking out of his mouth, so I guess he's gotten big enough to eat them whole, which gives them a good reason to hide. Poor little Amanos. I would maybe put them in my cherry tank, but I don't think I'd be able to catch them without tearing the other tank down.

(Sorry for the bad picture; its the best one)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My Amanos did the exact same thing; they spend all their days hiding between the driftwood and a rock. But the other day I saw my goldfish with long amano feelers sticking out of his mouth, so I guess he's gotten big enough to eat them whole, which gives them a good reason to hide. Poor little Amanos. I would maybe put them in my cherry tank, but I don't think I'd be able to catch them without tearing the other tank down.
How big were your Amano's?? I've got 5 growing out in a 10g with Platy fry and some RCS and 2 more in a 20g with hundreds of RCS.
I've seen the Amano's get to near 3". Mine are doing fine at only a little over an inch with near full grown Angels. How big are your goldfish?!

·
Registered
637 Posts
How big were your Amano's?? I've got 5 growing out in a 10g with Platy fry and some RCS and 2 more in a 20g with hundreds of RCS.
I've seen the Amano's get to near 3". Mine are doing fine at only a little over an inch with near full grown Angels. How big are your goldfish?!
I had three that were around 2 inches, and one that was around 1.5 inches (a male I think). They've been that size for a year so I don't think they're going to get any bigger. My guess is that he got the male, because I don't see how he could have fit the other ones in there. He is a comet goldfish, about 5.5 inches with his tail, about 4 inch long body. But fish are pretty amazing when it comes to what they can fit in their mouths.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts

(Sorry for the bad picture; its the best one)
Make a bottle trap to catch them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.