The Planted Tank Forum banner

Would Caridina cf. babaulti interbreed with CRS or RCS?

16K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  guppies 
#1 ·
Would Caridina cf. babaulti interbreed with CRS or RCS?

#7 ·
The Green Shrimp a.k.a Caridina babaulti may/will cross with a Crystal Red Shrimp. Both are Caridina so you do not want to put them together in fear of them cross breeding, creating a "mut". Cross breeding shrimp of different colors will not produce a mix of both colors.

Since a RCS, Red Cherry Shrimp, is a Neocaridina it will not cross breed with a Green Shrimp because the Green Shrimp is a Caridina.

So your answer is: The Green Shrimp is ok with the Red Cherry Shrimp, but NOT with a Crystal Red Shrimp.

note: it does not mean that they will undoubtedly cross-breed, just not worth taking the chance.....

#10 ·
+1 to everything here... they are in the same genus so technically it is possible though unlikely... if you would like to see a chart of what greens will and won't with check out the comprehensive breeding chart I made in my sign, PlanetInverts also has this chart on their breeding page

#8 ·
Would they? Maybe!

Its a hard question to answer. The Green Shrimp will not breed in soft acidic water, and the CRS does not breed well in harder more neutral water.

The Caridina cf. babaulti has the body shape of a Caridina but the care requirements of a many popular neocaridina spp. So I doubt that they would cross. But, I have never kept the two together so I could be wrong.

I lost all my green shrimp after the tornadoes, so I can not experiment...

#11 ·
Generally caridinas will stick to themselves as long as you have a good size of each species in a colony. But if you have like one female babaulti and 5x male CRS that's another story. So you should be fine having CRS, RCS, and babaulti in one tank.

#14 ·
This is true, I was just stating by the laws of the animal hierarchy... technically they could... however its unlikely and many probably never will. I have many many people tell me however that the Sulawesi do not interbreed with each other nor other Caridinas... they like to keep it to the same species. Many other caridinas follow that path... like multidentata (amano shrimp)... however possibilities are just that... possible... even if unlikely.

#16 ·
Your example isn't entirely valid. You throw a CRS in a Sulawesi tank, it dies. You throw a caridinal shrimp in a CRS tank, it dies. The reason they won't interbreed is because they each cannot survive in the others parameters. Difference between this example and CRS/babaulti is that they are the same genus AND can survive in the same parameters. Much higher chance of interbreeding, but very unlikely as you stated :p.

#15 ·
I've kept both in conditions that favor CRS. Both are breeding atm. Though I have yet to see a mutt or a CRS baby cause the CRS just got berried. However, the Babaulti have given birth and they are all babaulti, no mutts.

I was actually curious that's why I threw them in the same tank Lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.