The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been on this site for a few months now, and LOVE it,
and i'd love love LOVE to be able to take advantage of/help my fellow TPT-ers by using the shop-n-swap, either buying or selling (my water sprite and java fern are babymaking machines...)

BUT...i'm only 16.
and pretty much everybody uses paypal.
i've never seen any regulations on the SnS that say people under 18 can't buy/sell on the forum, but it's pretty much impossible since everybody uses paypal.
granted, i could get one- actually, i already did- but i don't use it because i'm afraid of them somehow finding out my age and stopping my account (i've heard horror stories).

SO to my actual question,
would any of you be willing to pay/be paid by sending checks/cash through the mail? people say it's risky, but i've been getting birthday/holiday cash from relatives through the mail all my life and none of it has ever been intercepted to my knowledge- my grandma even sent $1,000 to my parents earlier this year before she died (check, not cash). i could understand not wanting to be paid this way maybe a bit better, because it's easy for someone to send you a check that bounces, or fake bills. but you could potentially ask for payment to be sent before you send the whatever, and HOPEFULLY most of this community can be trusted to come through.
and if not, would you be willing to barter specifically (like, you value whatever you're selling/buying and buy something the person wants in return for whatever they're buying)?

sorry for the long post, but would love to hear from you,
cat

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Just sign up for a paypal.
Ask your mom or dad or even older bro/SIS.

Paypal the best way to buy online.
If someone is asking for money order or check etc.
I'll stay away from that person.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Buy or have your parents buy a prepaid credit card. When the seller sends you an invoice, pay it with the credit card. Can't run it up, it's set at the prepaid amount.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i have a debit card...
i was under the impression you can use them for paypal?
it's really just a matter of being "busted," why i won't use mine.
i don't think my parents would let me peg anything to their bank accounts. EVER. (and i can't really blame them for that)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Paypal actually protects you as a buyer, too. I think back to the early days of [email protected], and remember some folks claiming they never recieved money orders. Nice to jave some electronic proof and means to file a claim if something goes bad.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Paypal only protects you if you send payment as purchase of good or services. If you send as gift then you pay the 3.5% paypal fee AND paypal is hands free in case of a dispute since you "gifted" the money. At that point if youre paypal is attached to a credit card then visa can take over a claim

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Before, my paypal account was verified with a Visa prepaid card (basically a giftcard) with $2.34 on it. :hihi:
You might think about doing that. Ask your parents to have it under their name. (i'm sure they won't object to that, right?) I got mine from a software rebate, which was under my mum's name anyway. Not sure how the drug store ones work... but...

I hate to say this, but they aren't very good at policing.

Most of the time, if I need to buy something, I will limit myself to the paypal balance (and you can't pay w/ a card if you DO have a positive balance) which is accrued by (obviously) selling things. So it kind of ensures that I never go into the red. If you don't have your plants going for you, you can sell your old text books on amazon, if you're into shopping, you probably have a lot of stuff you don't wear in your closet...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Long time ago when i first started this hobby, we use to accept money orders before paypal got so widespread. It worked well. Just very very slow.

To this day I still take money orders because I remember when I was 16 on 56K going "Oh man I really want those enlders! Too bad they don't take my money" It just reminds of of all the times I seen these awesome tanks and feeling so limited because I didn't have a credit card

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before, my paypal account was verified with a Visa prepaid card (basically a giftcard) with $2.34 on it. :hihi:
You might think about doing that. Ask your parents to have it under their name. (i'm sure they won't object to that, right?) I got mine from a software rebate, which was under my mum's name anyway. Not sure how the drug store ones work... but...

I hate to say this, but they aren't very good at policing.

Most of the time, if I need to buy something, I will limit myself to the paypal balance (and you can't pay w/ a card if you DO have a positive balance) which is accrued by (obviously) selling things. So it kind of ensures that I never go into the red. If you don't have your plants going for you, you can sell your old text books on amazon, if you're into shopping, you probably have a lot of stuff you don't wear in your closet...
yeah, probably not so much an issue with paypal in their name. does the money in the paypal account ever leave the paypal account? like can/does it transfer to whatever account it's linked to?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
yeah, probably not so much an issue with paypal in their name. does the money in the paypal account ever leave the paypal account? like can/does it transfer to whatever account it's linked to?
Are we talking about the balance? Yes, these funds exist pretty much entirely on the internet, but you can transfer it any other pp account you may have via gift or something. (this requires human verification, yes) If you like your money to be tangible, you'd have to request a check, which is a fee service.

NB though, the card is just there to allow you to 'activate' the account: receive payment and etc. The funds on that card are not in any way connected to the pp balance. You have to get someone to send you money to have funds in the pp balance. likewise , You can't put funds on the card.

OR WAIT>
student paypal? That's pretty awesome. so much simpler, and selling fees are less? what?... well. ok. I guess you have many options open to you.

i should add though, you should get a legit debit/credit card on there eventually. it just makes you feel a bit more secure, you know?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
i have mine linked to my bank acc and im younger than you.
It depends a lot on how your parents feel about it. I didn't get a bank account until I was 17 since my dad was uneasy about it and I was going to college, so he had no choice. I'm not sure what the point of this comment was. >_>

I don't link mine to a bank account for security reasons, but I do at least use paypal with a debit card.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I am signed up under my dad's account and Im only 16 as well. I have a student account though, not as much power as a regular account but i do get a debit card!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
meh, i might just use the account i already have, my debit card is already tied to it i think. i just haven't USED it.
the student thing would work i guess, buy it's not like i need another debit card? i dunno.
if they're not great at policing then it's probably not worth going out of my way to make another account, right?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a few years ago cash or checks sent in an envelope were the "normal" way to pay for things here. Amazing how quickly things change.

Reminds me of a recent trip to Europe - basically nobody would accept credit cards. Came as a bit of a surprise.
yeah, i think the threat for bouncing checks/currency fraud has always been there, but just now people are more afraid of it. it's weird, because it's a lot harder to make fake bills now, what with the new security improvements. dunno.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeah, i think the threat for bouncing checks/currency fraud has always been there, but just now people are more afraid of it. it's weird, because it's a lot harder to make fake bills now, what with the new security improvements. dunno.
Hey i sent u a pm just so you know let me know if you got it

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just recently sold something on another site, and the customer gave the idea of a wire transfer....I am not sure how old you have to be to accept a wire transfer, probably older than 18, but it's an idea. I did PayPal, so......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts