The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank in a shaded area outside. It gets around 1 to 2 hours of direct sunlight and has been doing quite well (the tetras and shrimp are flourishing as well as the plants).

I plan to put a 5 gallon planted tank on a shelf above it. However, the 5 gallon tank won't get any direct sunlight because of the angle of the roof. Would the plants in be okay? Most of the planted tank posts I've seen always recommend X hours of light, but from artificial lighting. I'm not sure if indirect / shaded from direct sunlight is considered as acceptable lighting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In my experience you almost have to put tanks outside in indirect light or shade, especially small tanks. Any direct sunlight for extended periods will turn you tanks into an algae farm very very quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jhays79. Is indirect sunlight sufficient for plants? Or do they need a few hours of direct?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think indirect is fine. I had a small container pond a few years ago that I had under a weeping birch tree for shade. It maybe got two hours of direct sunlight, the rest of the day was shaded. I grew tons of plants in it, had rotala and wisteria growing right out of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts