The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to steal a photo from distrbd (prolly didn't spell his name right, but...) and ask the general public here:

See the crinkly, thin-leafed plant in this photo? would you consider this to be worth 15$ USD for a fairly-healthy, but only 6-8 inch tall plant? I've been eyeing it at the LFS and put off about the price. But I don't know if it's that rare or what? I just wanna get a few opinions.

Now - I'm not asking what SnS prices would be, I'm asking what you'd think to pay for it in the LFS. (I don't wanna start another SnS price war...)

sorry for stealing the image without asking distrbd... I hope I don't step on anyone's toes for it!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
See the crinkly, thin-leafed plant in this photo? would you consider this to be worth 15$ USD for a fairly-healthy, but only 6-8 inch tall plant? I've been eyeing it at the LFS and put off about the price. But I don't know if it's that rare or what? I just wanna get a few opinions.
Looks like Crinum calamistratum which is not particularly rare but is difficult to propagate.

I have one purchased from "a LFS" for more than your quoted price and I won 2 last night at the plant auction for much less than the price. Not the easiest plant to aquascape but neat none the less.

Tropica

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
a CC has not been offered in SnS for 6 Months.
I should know, since I bought the last one :hihi:
anyway, most pet stores have them for $10-$20
so $15 is high, but not obscene, especially if
it has more than 8 leaves. It actually grows
pretty fast once it's acclimated to your tank.
try to plant it in a spot you won't be moving.
they are imported from Africa, and not grown
here, so that may be why they cost a bit more.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hi Mangala.no worries about the picture.here is a close up of the "Crinum Calamistratum".I only paid $13 at the local Bigal.and when planted it I inserted a Flourish Tab under the roots and this plant grows very nicely,in fact I have to prune the leaves every other week or else it will take over the surroundings fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, this plant at the LFS has only 3 leaves. I've admired it and waffled over making the "investment" on buying one. 'course, it would be non-south american, and non-asian, but it would probably be another cool thing to mis-match in my angel tank, since I've already got "african java fern" in there. It really DOES look like a mis-match, but... I still like each plant in there individually ('cept the vals. they have YET to make me happy... grr...) maybe I'll take a relatively crummy photo of my 3 week old angel tank when I get home. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe when I get paid on friday I'll go down and see if it's still there. I know it'd be better just to call them, but the guy recognizes me and gets all happy when I come in the store, shows me new stock and stuff. Offers to order me things I might need... I like to reward good customer service with good customer loyalty... maybe he'll have something else interesting? :icon_bigg

It'd also be cool if it got all big like distrbd's plant! It's difficult to propogate, though, y'say? I would think you could just slice it in half at the base like... well, I could be wrong, and I probably won't do that. I should probably read up on it some more before I go and "impulsively buy" a plant that costs 1.666 times my hourly pay...

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
It's difficult to propogate, though, y'say? I would think you could just slice it in half at the base like
it's a centerpiece plant, so most don't get more than one or two.
it propagates by spawning daughter plants off the main bulb,
so slicing it in half would not be a good idea :icon_roll
since your plant only has 3 leaves,
you should give it plenty of direct tank light,
so those few leaves can energize the plant into new growth.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's a centerpiece plant, so most don't get more than one or two.
it propagates by spawning daughter plants off the main bulb,
so slicing it in half would not be a good idea :icon_roll
since your plant only has 3 leaves,
you should give it plenty of direct tank light,
so those few leaves can energize the plant into new growth.
I know exactly where it would go, then. On the side of the tank with no foxtails. :) It just looks so interesting. spawning daughter plants off the main bulb sounds ... interesting! I'm thinking it would look really good behind my red lily things. the name of which I cannot remember but EVERYONE has one? I would have to move them around a bit, but they seem to have taken to my tank soooooo well in just a few weeks, I think they can take a relocation...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If this particular LFS happens to be on Roosevelt, sign up for the monthly flier and use a 30% off plant coupon. Other stores in the area have a GSAS discount also.

maybe when I get paid on friday I'll go down and see if it's still there. I know it'd be better just to call them, but the guy recognizes me and gets all happy when I come in the store, shows me new stock and stuff. Offers to order me things I might need... I like to reward good customer service with good customer loyalty... maybe he'll have something else interesting? :icon_bigg

It'd also be cool if it got all big like distrbd's plant! It's difficult to propogate, though, y'say? I would think you could just slice it in half at the base like... well, I could be wrong, and I probably won't do that. I should probably read up on it some more before I go and "impulsively buy" a plant that costs 1.666 times my hourly pay...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If this particular LFS happens to be on Roosevelt, sign up for the monthly flier and use a 30% off plant coupon. Other stores in the area have a GSAS discount also.
Thanks blue ram - but this particular LFS is allllllll the way down in Burien. I go there for exactly two things: This one pet store, and the price of gas. Buying gas downtown can REALLY add up.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Thanks blue ram - but this particular LFS is allllllll the way down in Burien. I go there for exactly two things: This one pet store, and the price of gas. Buying gas downtown can REALLY add up.
Agreed, some of my favorite stores are down south (A Place For Pets (Burien), B & D Aquarium (White Center)) but it is really a long way away. I end up stopping by if I have to go to the airport.

I saw some nice wild rams last time I was down there too.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
they are slow growing so they are pricey. I bought a few form Lowcoaster...beautiful specimens. I think that is a very fair price~

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. A Place For Pets is my fav. store currently. I DID check the GSAS.org website to see if they were on the list, but no. I really do need to check out other stores also, and not just become attached to the first one with any decent selection! (I also should probably sign up for gsas, if only for the fact that I'd actually get to talk to other people who actually share my hobby interest, rather than having people go "why do you talk about fish stuff all the time?" at me...)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Damnit. One of the East side LFS had a few of those she was trying to talk me into getting. they only were asking 8 bucks each. I'm going to have to talk to her and see if she can get more. This was at Blue Serria. they arent huge on planted or variety. But they get some more "rare" plants from time to time.

Considering that it seems that is an average price for it. If you want it I'd say grab it and try to make some cash back from it by selling daughter plants.

Yes. A Place For Pets is my fav. store currently. I DID check the GSAS.org website to see if they were on the list, but no. I really do need to check out other stores also, and not just become attached to the first one with any decent selection! (I also should probably sign up for gsas, if only for the fact that I'd actually get to talk to other people who actually share my hobby interest, rather than having people go "why do you talk about fish stuff all the time?" at me...)
huh? APFP is the first store on the list of preferred member stores.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
huh? APFP is the first store on the list of preferred member stores.
No it isn't. GSAS Sponsors

It's Angels Northwest (the link goes to a broken website, btw)
Conway Tropical Fish
Denny's Pet World
Blue Sierra
King's Discus
Fish Gallery and Pets
Sierra Fish and Pets
Snubbers Fish and Friends.

:p

That sounds like a good deal, though at blue sierra. even if they're small. I really don't care. I just like the look of the plant. :) if it creates daughters, all the better!

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
How big is your tank? I had one take over my 56 column tank. That tank is 2 feet tall and 30 inches across and the crinium leaves were going up one side across the top and down the other side. I had it 3 or 4 years. It produced about 12 daughter plants which I was breaking off and giving away to club members. Auctioned off the mother and the last three daughters at a club meeting. It was fun to have, once.

The base of the plant had to be 3 inches across when I pulled it out of the tank. It was huge.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
No it isn't. GSAS Sponsors

It's Angels Northwest (the link goes to a broken website, btw)
Conway Tropical Fish
Denny's Pet World
Blue Sierra
King's Discus
Fish Gallery and Pets
Sierra Fish and Pets
Snubbers Fish and Friends.

:p

That sounds like a good deal, though at blue sierra. even if they're small. I really don't care. I just like the look of the plant. :) if it creates daughters, all the better!
Ok thats odd. They are on the list on the back of the monthly newsletters. Maybe we lost them as a sponser in the last month. Too bad if so, I hear they are a pretty good shop. Haven't had a chance to head that way yet tho so I cant say from personal exp.

But if you do go to blue seirra make sure to talk to doris. shes the one that does all the ordering of plants. Real nice lady.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts